Thursday, September 13, 2018

Pillars of Hercules - Review


Author: Tony Cliff
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 256



Having survived a close shave in England, where she was falsely accused of spying for the French, Delilah has set out with her companion Selim for more agreeable adventures in central Asia. But when she stumbles on an artifact that may be a clue about the location of the legendary third pillar of Hercules, Delilah and Selim are drawn back to Europe on an Indiana-Jones-style archeological caper that pits her against a ruthless enemy . . . and forces her to team up with the most unlikely partner of all time: her sworn enemy, Jason Merrick, the man who framed her for espionage!

From vast forgotten underground cities to an elaborate and shocking double-cross, Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules brings all the drama and excitement that fans of the series crave.



This is one of those books that sort of fell into my lap. Way back when I was first dipping my toes into book reviewing through Goodreads.com, I was lucky enough to win the first book (Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant). Honestly I had no idea what I was getting myself into. What I knew was that I loved reading Graphic Novels, the story sounded fun, the artwork looked was amazing, and the story sounded promising.

Now it's a handful of years later and I've been no to patiently waiting for the next books to come out. So excited in fact that I went back and re-read the other two books, and set my work schedule up to be able to pick my copy the day it came out.

After reading Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules for the third time, I love it!

The story itself is completely thought out and solid. It throws back into the world of Delilah and Selim not long after we left them in the last volume. Already Delilah has found a new way to get herself into trouble.

It's everything I loved about the last two, but so much more. Selim and Delilah are a team. They've grown over three books and you it shows in the way the talk to each other, the Selim just knows to expect foolishness from Delilah.

It was also good to see the return of some of my favorite characters from the last book. Especally Merrick!! I'm so glad he came back. Really was hoping we hadn't seen the last of him in the King's Shilling.

No one makes a fool of  himself quite like Merrick!!

Of course I have to mention the artwork. I adore the way Tony Cliff does the art for his books. The panels aren't just done my computers. Each panel is hand sketched at some point. A process Tony Cliff shares with his fans as the book is begining created, and the outcome is amazing. The attention to detail and the vibrant colors are amazing. Every single panel is eye catching and full of detail.

Everything just comes together in an amazing package. Plus there are little nods to pop culture throughout the book. Some I caught first go round, some on the next pass, but some others had pointed out.

It's a fresh look on stories some of us grew up on. With a strong female lead with a sidekick that is so much more than that. Selim is smart, quick footed, and always tries to keep Delilah from being foolish.

It's a series I've been willing to wait years between each new installment because I knew it'd be worth the wait. Pillars of Hercules didn't disappoint. It was everything I wanted it to be and more.

I can't wait to see what Volume Four will look like!

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: Buy them all! Read them on his blog. Snag them from the library. Do what ever you need to do to pick up these books. They will not disappoint!

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment