I grew up in the Middle of the USA. So I've been around a cicada or two in my time. In fact, I've been informed that we had a dog that used to carry them around for fun. So I can think of a dozen different ways that these could be creepy and unsettling. Which meant I put this book on hold the minute I saw one of the libraries I use was getting it. The downside is it came as a PDF file, or a non-Kindle version. That means I can only read it on my phone. Normally, that doesn't work for me, but I had a trip ahead that was going to lead to a lot of standing in line. So I thought maybe it was perfect. When I say I couldn't put this down. I started it in line at Hollywood Horror Nights, reading it all night while in line. Read it back at the hotel until I fell asleep, and the read it randomly throughout the next day. I loved this, I loved this ending, and I love how everyone got exactly what they deserved! From the start, you know what's about to happen, but it's all the little stuff in between that keeps you reading. It's got some great jump scares, some really gross parts, but there's this sense of terror throughout the whole book thanks to the main character, which just pulled me in. I was rooting for her the whole book.
I snagged this as something quick to read on the plane/airport because I like other Legends and Lattes. So I figured I would like that. And it was a lot of fun! I love that we get dropped into the middle of the mystery. The monk has already died, Miss Gentle has been summoned, and there is a cat. We learn things about the world, people, and circumstances as the story unfolds, and it's amazing what Travis Baldree managed in under fifty pages. I thoroughly enjoyed this, and it was the perfect little quick read I needed to kick off my little vacation last month!
When I originally read this, I had no idea what was going on. I mean, I kind of knew what was going on. Fawkes is a creeping creeper, and I hope at some point, Lewllyn gets a hold of it. But there's this whole side plot toward the end that I couldn't figure out what was going on. What was the point of all this? There's only one book left; why are we adding things now?! Only a couple of days later, all the puzzle pieces came together, or at least I think they came together. And things from the first couple of books came back to me. Maybe, just maybe, I actually do know what's going on, and I think I might know who Lewellyn actually is. Or adjacent to, maybe. I have theories and thoughts, and I cannot wait for my library to get volume 6 in. Because now I have to know how much I figured out.
HAPPY READING!!



No comments:
Post a Comment