Saturday, June 18, 2016

Warlock Holmes: A Study in Brimstone Review



Published: May 17, 2016
Author: G.S. Denning
Series: Warlock Holmes

An imaginative, irreverent and addictive re-imagining of the world’s favorite detective, Warlock Holmes retains the charm, tone and feel of the original stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle while finally giving the flat at 221B Baker Street what it’s been missing for all these years: an alchemy table.


I'm a sucker of any kind of Sherlock Holmes book.  So much so that'll pick anything up that contains one of the world's most famous Consulting Detectives. Warlock Holmes drew my attention for just that reason, but it pulled me by adding the paranormal aspect to Canon.  What I didn't realize was that there would be more than just one Sherlock story inside A Study in Brimstone.  I figured it was just a re-telling of a Study in Scarlet. That was only the first story.  G.S. Denning re-imaged six of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories. A couple that I hadn't read in quite a while and actually one of my favorites, The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton.

G.S. Denning has created a hilarious world inside of the Sherlock Holmes Canon.  Warlock has every bad habit, though his seven percent solution is a wee bit more dangerous, ever flawed quality, and the same heart as Sherlock.  Only, he's not quite as good as noticing the world's trifles.  Thankfully he doesn't have to be since the war spat out Dr. John Watson.  The Doctor's medical background makes him good at noticing the little things.  Lucky for them Stamford introduced them to each other.

I absolutely adored this book.  The first page pulled me in as Dr. Watson starts to apologize to the reader for something about to happen.  As the first story went on I found myself laughing out loud at parts, devouring the whole story, and not wanting to put the book down.  I loved the way that G.S. Denning reworked these six Sherlock Holmes stories, the re-imagined characters and plots, and more importantly I loved the things that didn't change.  

While a lot of the characters and plots get a paranormal upgrade, the core of the mysteries are still there.  Warlock as still as obstinate as ever, refusing to ever be wrong, and Watson is still as human as ever.  I felt like G.S. Denning kept true to the core of the Sherlock Holmes stories.  Each story still had everything I loved about Canon, but made me fall in love with the characters for different reason.  It is a wonderful mash-up of paranormal, humor, and Sherlock Holmes.

I even got my favorite character, Wiggins.  Only instead of just a street urchin, he's a were-rat named Wiggles.  Wiggles, G.S. Denning named him, Wiggles.  It was awesome!

There really wasn't a point where I set the book down and didn't feel like picking it back up.  In fact I had to make myself put it down to do things like sleep and go to work.  I've gushed about to co-workers who have asked me what I'm reading this week.  Gushed about to friends who also share a passion for reading, and now I'm trying gushing about it to whoever's reading this.  Only without trying to fangirl too much.  

Whether your a die hard Holmes fan, a casual reader, or just looking for something fun to read.  I highly recommend Warlock Holmes: A Study in Brimstone.  I especially recommend it if your a fan of Seth Graham-Smith and Christopher Moore.  A great mash-up and great read!

Buy or Burrow: Definitely buy this one!

 A Study in Brimstone

No comments:

Post a Comment