Friday, September 15, 2017

How to Survive Your First Convention - Community Post

Greetings and Salutations, everyone!

Alright, so most of you don't know but I love going to conventions and expos throughout the year. Sadly a lack of a lot of money keeps from going to all the ones I want, but I budget enough to be able to hit a few good ones throughout the year. Ones like, Love N Vegas that will be in Vegas this October! Love N Vegas is a book convention that happens annually through the U.S. that brings together authors and fans. This year it's basically in my backyard and I won't be able to attended because I have no more vacation days!

However, the Love N Vegas event got me thinking! Since conventions have become year round events I'd thought I'd share some tips through my blog for those thinking of going to their first one. Which I highly recommend you do! There's no better weekend than geeking out with like minded nerds!

Some of the tips I wanted to share is what you should bring with you:


  • A backpack - Where else are you going to store all your goodies from your favorite vendors. It's also a really easy way to keep your personal effects organized, that way you don't lose anything when you sit down, or are waiting in line (and you will be waiting in line).
  • Cash - While some vendors will  have card readers, the convention wi-fi will be over loaded with everyone's cellphones. So cash is an easy and quick way to pay for all those goodies you'll find. Plus, if  you're like me, you budget your trip. Cash makes it easy to stay on course.
  • Charger - I always bring two because I'm the queen of losing things! Most conventions will have places for you to charge your cellphones. They want you to post those photos to help spread the word!
  • Water Bottle - Conventions are all day events and you'll want to stay hydrated because it's also a lot of walking and standing. I always pack my Nalgene bottle!
  • A Buddy - Do you have an exit buddy? While conventions are a great way to meet new people who love the same things you do, it's also an experience to share with a friend. I always try to bring someone with me to share in the good times. 
  • A good attitude - There's going to be a lot of people! So remember to have fun and that everyone is there to enjoy the weekend and the events! Lines are going to happen, speakers will run a little late, and sometimes staff will be dealing with an emergency. Be patient!
  • Budget - You don't miss out on that one awesome piece of merch, or chance to meet one of your favorite authors, celebrities, artists, etc. This is one reason I bring cash each day on the floor. This makes it easier to stay inside My alotted money for that day, but don't forget safe some for snacks and lunch! A great way to budget is to check online for flight and hotel deals. If you're interested in the Love N Vegas Convention, just click the image below to go their webpage and see what's what! You can also check out Vegas.com for flight and hotel deals for your trip. I always try to budget my trips so I have extra money to spend on the show floor!

Well, that's all for my tips on what to bring when off to a convention. Stay save and have a great week! And as always, HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment