Saturday, October 8, 2022

Butcher's Work - Review

Author: Harold Schechter
Genre: Nonfiction / True Crime
Format: eBook
Pages: 256

Huge thanks to NetGalley for an early look at Butcher's Work!

This is my second book by Harold Schecter, and I will say I wasn't disappointed. Though the last book I read by him was devasting, it was so well written and researched that I jumped at the chance to read his next book. Butcher's Work follows the same pattern, only less heartbreaking.

While these are still tales of murder through the early part of the United States, some of these crimes were bizarre. Like the man who just kept changing his name, getting married, killing brides, or leaving them with nothing, only to repeat the process for years. Only to almost get caught, slip out of their fingers, and start all over again.

Each chapter is well-researched, and I liked that they start with a small headline crime. Something that sort of sets the scene for what the chapter is going to entail. To get your mind ready for the weirdness that is about to happen. But each chapter is jammed packed with information about the city, the victims, and about the do-er. It doesn't just focus on one element.

I will say that the chapters did run a little longer. There were places where it felt like things were drawn out, and I would lose my focus on the book. End up doing something else. Though I always come back to it in the end. Still, there were moments when I was hoping we could skip to the end.

Though, as a whole, I enjoyed reading this and I've already recommended it to people for when it gets released!

Butcher's Work will be released on October 28, 2022!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment