Thursday, October 27, 2022

Cryptid Creatures: A Field Guide - Review

 

Author: Kelly Milner Halls
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: Paperback
Pages: 240

This was one of those books where it popped on my Amazon as something their algorithm thought I'd enjoy. And, it wasn't wrong. I've loved cryptid stories for a long time. Whether it's something completely out there that probably doesn't actually exist to those that have actually been proven as real at some point. So this sat on my Wishlist for a bit, until I finally added it to a purchase because I always end up doing that.

Since then it's done what so many books have done, sat on my shelf. But, I read the United States of Cryptids earlier this year. Followed by a book about the Mothman, and now during Spooky Season I figured, there wasn't a better time.

It actually proved a great idea. This was absolutely adorable, and the perfect way to unwind after two long work weeks. Cryptid Creatures covers the whole globe with stories of monsters and creatures alike. Each new creature (or monster) gets a factoid and a small story about sighting, discoveries, and how it was brought into the public light.

What I loved the most about this book was the mix of creatures that definitely don't exist, but have a fantastic story behind them, to have creatures science has proven to do, or did at one point, exist. So, there is that nice mix of fantasy with my science. And, fear because I have a healthy fear of the ocean. It is big, mostly unexplored, and full of things that could, and probably would eat me.

Anyway, not only is this book jammed packed with fun information about all these creatures but it's illustrated as well. I'm not just talking that each creature gets an illustration because they do. But we get a look at their skull, occasionally the teeth they could eat me with, but also what a baby one would like. A couple was absolutely terrifying both big and small.

But, baby Mothman was adorable! Like kind of want to make it into a tattoo, adorable! 

That kind of ties into my next positive about this book. It's a book for all ages. I don't think there was anything too scary, but it would be easy to skip some of the creatures your young reader wasn't ready for. But also learn about some news from other parts of the world.

I thought it was cute and an enjoyable read. I read it over the course of a week after work before bed. Which was a great way to unwind from my day. Though I'd love to thank this author for unlocking a new fear for me. Could have gone my whole life without knowing the phrase Drop Bear...

Thanks for that.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment