Friday, November 24, 2023

The Butcher's Return - Review

Author: James Tynion IV 
Genre: Horror / Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144


I've enjoyed the original series, Something is Killing the Children, though I'm two books behind in that series. This is a series that is a part of that universe, I'm pretty sure it runs parallel to what's happening there. But, I'm two books behind so I might be wrong. Either way, this is book three, and I did like the first two books in this series.

Edwin and Aaron are two of my favorite characters in this universe.

However, now that he's finally gotten his. Jace is just okay. I much prefer the others, and Jessica (the main character of the original series).

However, I did like that we got a look at the other monster school, Boucher. We even got a little more of Jace's backstory and the fire that burned the original house down. And, to see the differences between the two schools, along with a little more about the Boucher family itself.

It held a lot of what I like about this series. I love the artwork. Each panel is as detail-heavy as the other volumes. I'm sure if I went back to re-read, I'd find things I missed the first time around. 

The bad guys are just so easy to hate in the way they are written. Nothing about them is good, and any time you think there is, it's quickly ripped away from you. Even the story is a good one, Jace's past mixing with his present, and creating a future he should have known he'd never been run to. 

I'm hoping this all comes to a point where Jace, Edwin, and Aaron are joining up to help Jessica. Because I refuse to believe one point of this story. Until I'm proved otherwise Mauve was lying. And, because I'm two volumes behind on the main series, I can live in this delusional land. Though, if she's right, I'm gonna be pissed. 

They are my favorite character so I'd love it if they aren't dead. Again.

So yeah, of all the volumes in this series, this is my least of the storylines. I feel like this one was mostly filler. Because while it's nice to know more about the Boucher line. I'm not sure this was a necessary addition. It kind of just was for me. 

Normally, I devour these books, but this one took me all day to read. I kept putting it down. Which kind of bummed me out because this is one of my favorite ongoing series.

However, I'm excited to catch up with this series over the winter. No matter how much of a letdown this one was. Even if it was well done. I'm just not a fan of Jace Boucher. 





HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment