Thursday, April 18, 2024

Mini Reviews


Okay, this was almost a three, nearly two-star book. What drew me into this was the idea of the story as a whole. This wasn't about the victim of the crime or the do-er, it was about the parent. And for me, that was an interesting point of view to have through the case. Because it was the mother trying to solve the crime. No, it's not a spoiler, the title of the book gives it away. The second thing was it's read by AJ Cook, I was sold basically with just that fact alone. And this book starts off with a bang and I was sucked in and listened to it while I was doing my opening duties at work, while I did housework, but at about the half mark, I started to fade with this. But I was told by a friend to keep going, get through the hump of doubt, and the ending will be worth it. It was a hundred percent. In fact, I had to listen to the ending twice! It smacked me right out of left field because I was so focused on the mother, on Chloe, that I forgot to think about anything else. So for that ending alone four stars! 



Cassandra Khaw's book always calls me. From the absolutely stunning covers to the actual synopsis of the books, yet for some reason, I've never picked one up. Despite the fact, I'm pretty sure I own two of them. So while I was flipping through Libby the other day looking for a quick read to wind down after my shift, I stumbled across These Deathless Bones. It had no holds and was under a hundred pages. I was sold. I loved this and its cliffhanger ending. It's a weird little story about a stepmother who almost kind of wanted to love her stepson. But, maybe some children are born bad. I loved that we got dropped into the middle of the story right at the climax of what could have easily been another book. I loved that we sort of got a complete ending. To the point, you're stratified, but not at the same time. Like I totally could have used like twenty more pages. Also, I'm cool with not knowing because I can imagine all ended well, though it probably didn't. There was probably bloodshed. But, what this book really did was prove to me I really need to read the other books I own by Khaw because I really liked her storytelling style!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment