Author: E.M. Roy
Genre: Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 196
As a whole, I liked this book and its characters. In fact, at the start of this book, I was all in and fully engaged in what was going on. I wanted to know what Tate had in her little X-files notebook, about the town, and about how Leo fit into it all. My full attention was on this book. I even really liked that we were getting the story told from two different timelines. Sort of, as Leo was remembering everything that happened. I even started to have my own suspicions about what happened, even some thoughts on what supernatural stuff could be happening.
However, after a bit, I started to get distracted as I read. I still wanted to know what was happening, but as soon as the Boston detective came in, I started to lose interest. The story takes place in Maine. So why was a detective from Massachusetts getting involved? Why not the Maine State Police or the FBI since there was a missing child? In fact, a lot of missing children.
Then for a second I got invested again, because what if Leo did it? She was acting strange and seeing things. What if in some sort of weird haze she actually had one it. But then there were weird pieces like the story about the boy she beat up. Why was he convinced her parents had killed his aunt and uncle?
So I was back to a lot of questions, and as soon as the plot was moving, BOOM, flashback, and the story took five paces back again.
By the time I finished it, I was pretty over everything. I still don't know what the door was. I don't know why Tate had the weird vision in the woods. The reason for it felt thin. I got why the town itself had a weird vibe about Leo, but I just didn't feel satisfied with the ending wrap-up of all the supernatural stuff. Like now the town is healed, and people can leave again. Was that why Leo has weird rage issues? Did I miss the whole point of this book by zoning out while reading?
Either way, parts of this hit for me, and parts didn't. I honestly think that was one of those 'this book wasn't for me' type things. Because there were some great parts of this story and these characters. It just sort of unraveled in a lot of places for my liking.
HAPPY READING!!


No comments:
Post a Comment