Anything with Sherlock in the title will catch my eye, whether at a bookstore, library, or, as the case may be, NetGalley. But what made me grab this book was the fact that Joe Hill wrote one of the stories inside. That very much had my attention and apparently control of my hands because I requested it! What also helped was that there are a lot of authors attached to this that I've been meaning to pick up their books: Sarah Perry, S.A. Crosby, Janice Hallett, etc. So it really felt like a win-win for me. I can see Joe Hill doing his creepy thing with two of my favorite characters, and I can try out some new authors at the same time.
Now, when I jump into any short story collection, I always assume there's going to be at least one story I have to either force myself to finish, or one I just DNF and move on from. It's just the way sometimes with collections. Some stories hit; some unfortunately do not. So I prepared myself for that and then enjoyed a lovely introduction by one of my favorite comedians, Stephen Fry. He played one of my favorite versions of Mycroft Holmes! It wasn't until I'd made it to the last story that I realized I hadn't skipped a single story. Not only had I read them all, but I had also devoured them all.
Every single one of these authors came at canon in their own way, but I found myself enjoying their versions of Holmes and Watson. I assumed from the start that Joe Hill's story would be my favorite, and while I really enjoy it, it wasn't. Steve Cavanagh's story with Sherlock going mind-for-mind with an AI was hands down my favorite. Not only was it creepy, but you spend the whole story rooting for Sherlock to take the win.
Altogether, this was a great collection by an amazing group of writers. You can tell that they love Sherlock Holmes in their own way, because they brought so much care into a world that already loved him. They knew what readers loved about these characters but still made the stories their own, and I enjoyed every single chapter and every single page. So on November 30th, 2026, wherever it is that you get your ebooks (because I sadly don't think this is getting a physical copy), snag this bad boy up.
And if it does get a physical copy, this one I'll be adding to my shelves. I could see myself reading this one again!
HAPPY READING!!


No comments:
Post a Comment