Thursday, January 9, 2020

Reverie - Review


Series: Stand Alone
Genre: Young Adult
Format: Hardback
Pages: 419


So I knew this book was going to be a little weird with people's daydreams coming to life and evil sorceress Drag Queens. I knew that, and I was so ready for the ridiculousness of it all. This was going to fun way to start my year. What I hadn't expected was for Reverie to smack right in the feelings. Watching Kane go through this whole event and found so much more than strength, but family. It was as beautiful as it was hilarious.

But, best of all there was balance. It was all camp and jokes, and it wasn't all trauma and darkness. Both lived together in a way that it only really can in teenagers I think. The drama is very much what you'd find in any high school halls, or the movies and TV the make about them. But, the message of a found family is a new on that is only being seen in platforms these days.

Even though, Kane has a caring family. He also has the bond with the Others that goes a little beyond that, and it was a beautiful thing to see them find their feet again.

Reverie is told from Kane's point-of-view. So pieces of the book get a little confusing because the poor boy has lost his memories of the entire summer. He know who he is, who his family is, but there is a whole chunk of he can't remember. Not to mention a burned down factory and a car accident explaining how it happened.

Kinda...

The characters themselves are solid. Reverie  is one of those books where I liked Kane fine, but I lived for the side characters. Ursula and Dean are precious beans, and both gave my heart palpitations throughout the story. Both of them are to be protected at all costs. Elliot and Adeline grew on my. Neither started out as my favorite people, but in the end I wanted to slap them both a little less. Oh, and our villain. She was a dream and I loved her. She was everything I loved about the old school Disney villains, but more. The best character of all is hands down Ms. Daisy, who was the best girl throughout the book.

I honestly can't so much for world since Reverie is set in Connecticut. It's one of the many States I haven't ventured to yet. However, Ryan La Sala paints a wonderful picture of a small Connecticut town.  The best bit is the reveries as the start to pop into our world. Each one the Others come across was down wonderfully. From the writing to the details. I didn't feel lost as we slipped from the real world to a dream world, and they were wonderfully down.

And the little nerd me so was excited to one based of my favorite Indiana Jones movie.

Most of all I enjoyed the ending. While happy endings aren't always my favorite, this one felt like the best way for all of this to end. I was very satisfied with it, and the growth of all the characters. Especially Kane who kind need a swift kick at the start of this book. My favorite bit the kind of open ending we got. That there might be more danger on the horizon with our villains sisters. Maybe another book.

Maybe...

Also, it's a little thing, but I really enjoyed this and it'll be kind spoiler filled. Thank you for how you write Dean and Kane. Just thank you. They have a normal relationship with mistakes and fights, and Dean dealing with Kane screwing him over. But, the fought for each other and it was great to see them as normal. Getting to feel normal in this small town. One more time, it was a normal relationship, as it should be. So thank you!

Really, all my problems with this book was how hard it was too put down. Normally I read a couple books at a time, but not with Reverie. I wasn't in the mood to read anything else. I needed to devour this one and see how it all ended. Now it's over, and I have to deal with that...


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment