Thursday, May 5, 2022

Pet That Cat - Review

Author: Nigel Kidd
Genre: Nonfiction
Format: eBook
Pages: 130


Huge thanks to Quirk Books and Netgalley for an early copy of Pet That Cat! for my honest review!

This was everything I wanted it to be, absolutely adorable! I've always been more of a cat person than a dog person. Mostly because cats are a little more low maintenance and more my speed. So when I saw this on Netgalley I couldn't pass up the chance to read it early. When I got the email that I'd been approved, I couldn't wait for my weekend so I curl up with my own cat, Maxwell, and read this cover to cover.

Pet That Cat! is great for cat lovers of all ages. From cover to cover it's filled with great information about cats of all ages,  fun facts, myths that have been proven false, and some heartwarming stories. What makes this book great though is that it doesn't talk down to younger readers. Nothing is "dumbed" down because this book does target readers, instead, It states clear facts, but gives examples that younger readers would understand. And, if they still don't understand it opens the door for research so the reader can learn more. 

Another great thing is even I learned something while reading this. I've had pet cats my whole life, and I'm always learning new things about them. This was just another learning tool even for me, who is well into my thirties. Things I can use with my current cat, and things to think about if I ever decided to add a new cat to the mix.

I also really liked that this book touched on both points of adoption and working with breeders. While personally, I've adopted all my cats, that doesn't always work for people. So it was great to see a section about how to safely find cats through reputable breeders. I knew very little about the latter, so it's nice to have that information in case I ever decide to go that route.

I also loved the illustrations in the book, not just because this book is geared toward younger readers, but because are a fun way to present this information. The illustrations make it fun to learn and not feel like you are being talked out. Plus, they were adorable.

Lastly, the last few pages in the book are set up so you can record all the different cats you meet.  For me is just the two that live in my house, but for younger readers, I could see how much fun that would be. So I'm so thankful to have gotten to read this early, and I already know a few young readers who would love this book.

Pet That Cat! is out July 1st, 2022!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment