Friday, January 13, 2017

Friday the 13th Special with Warren the 13th


Earlier this last summer I read an adorable little Victorian Gothic book by the name of Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye.  It was hands down the cutest thing I read last year.  The book was hilarious, Warren was adorable, and the mystery of the All-Seeing Eye was a good one.  I loved each character that Tania del Rio introduced, the evil Aunt being my favorite!!  Also, I adored Will Staehle's artwork.  I loved it was in black and white outside of a few pieces that were red.  It was wonderful! Now, I get to be a part the release of the newest additions to the Warren the 13th series in celebration for Friday the 13th!!  The first is a cute little activity book that includes a pretty awesome short story, and the second is the March release of Warren the 13th and the Whispering Woods. I'm so excited for the second book! I've been waiting for it since I got to the last page of the All Seeing Eye and it promised a second book! Only 2 more months!!

Okay, enough fangirling for a moment.  The first piece I want to show off this Friday the 13th is the cover art for the shorty story, Warren the 13th and the Unlucky Day. Below is a bit about it, and it's totally Free!  So if you want for yourself, or your kids, click the cover and download it!






Warren the 13th and the Unlucky Day, is a short story attached to an adorable activity book the Quirk Books has put on Scribd.  The activity book is available for download right now!  It's super freaking cute and the story is adorable.  So click the image of the cover and check it out!  Do it now!!





Now, we all know that Friday the 13th is considered one of the most unluckiest days of the year.  I was curious as to how unlucky it was.  So did what everyone does, I Googled it.  There seems to be a lot of debate on when Friday the 13th actually started to be considered an unlucky day.  Some believe it started in the Middle Ages originating from the Last Supper which had 13 men present and happened before Jesus's death on Good Friday.  Others say it might because of the novel written by Thomas W. Lawson, Friday, the Thirteenth.  My favorite version of the origin was, it could because Phillip IV of France imprisoned hundreds of Knights Templar on a Friday the 13th! 

Wherever the origin came from, it's stuck around scares people to this day.  In fact it scares people so much it's an official phobia, paraskevidekatriaphobia. I know people who won't go anywhere on this day, just in case something happens.  Is it a mind of matter situation, where we think something bad will happen so it does?  No one knows, but more and more people stay home on Friday the 13th.  In fact there are a handful of strange superstitions attached to this day.  I had a few favorites

Friday the 13th Superstitions:
  • If you cut your hair, someone in family will die.  (WHAT?!)
  • It's where the myth of breaking a mirror and seven years bad luck comes in. 
  • Also the reason we can't walk under a ladder. (Though health and safety agree that's bad idea)
  • Apparently being born on this day is bad luck. (Guess no one told Hitchcock that!)
Of course there is a number of ways to stay lucky today. If possible you should keep your fingers crossed all day, only walk South, or wear your clothes inside out.  My favorites are to carry an acorn in your pocket, walk in the rain (seeing as I live in Seattle that'll be easy!), and sneeze three times before breakfast.  That last one happens nearly every day!

For me though, I love that scary movies are played on Friday the 13th.  Everything from Jason to Pinhead.  I love a good 80's horror movie! Also, I work in the public domain.  So it's always fun to see people out and about!  Randomly today is also National Make Your Dreams Come Day!  Which being invited to this Warren the 13th special, kind of did that for me a little. So really how bad can today be?? (Without a doubt just knocked on my wooden writing desk, are you nuts!)

So what all of this have to do with Warren?  Well, he's pretty unlucky.  From no one wanting to stay at their hotel anymore, to a lazy Uncle, an evil Aunt, and a confusing family story about an All Seeing Eye... Things don't seem to have gotten better for Warren in the second book.  


Warren the 13th is back in another lushly illustrated middle grade adventure. When an unexpected detour brings everyone into the dark and sinister Malwoods, Warren finds himself separated from his hotel and his friends and racing after them on foot through a forest teeming with witches, snakes, talking trees, and mind-boggling riddles. Once again, you can expect stunning illustrations and gorgeous design from Will Staehle on every page along with plenty of nonstop action and adventure! (Click the cover to see the Official Goodreads' Page)



Warren the 13th and the Whispering Woods will hit shelves on March 21st of this year!  Of course you can pre-order it now through Quirk Books! Just click their icons above and they'll take you where you need to be!

It's been so cool to be involved with this event!  Thanks so much to Kelsey Hoffman and Quirk Books for including me!  Now, I'm off to work and the I think I'll curl up tonight a bowl of popcorn and watch some Jason Vohrees!  Have a safe Friday the 13th ya'll, and if you haven't picked up Warren the 13th and the All Seeing Eye do it!  What are you waiting for!  

No comments:

Post a Comment