Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Gemina - A Reivew



Authors: Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Series: Illuminae Files #2
Page Count: 659 pages
Format: Hardback


Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.

The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.







This book... I should have posted this review days ago, but the words just haven't been coming to me.  Instead I've been processing the ending and the fact for the last forty pages or so my heart was in my chest.  You can't just kill off my favorite character just pages after we find out the survived something slimy, gross, and with one too many heads!!  While the entire book is full of action, and there's never a dull moment, the last forty to fifty pages is nonstop.  I'm pretty sure I held my breath until I got to the last page.

Honestly, while I was excited for this book, I was also a little nervous.  In times past I have read a sophomore book in a series, and been disappointed. Even to the point it takes me a while to pick up the next book.  Or, as a few cases have been, just not finish the series.  Which was something I didn't want to happen with the Illuminae Series.  I loved the first book!  The characters, the story, the world that Jay and Amie created! All of it was amazing and I was ready to see what happened next.

Thankfully, I was wrong.  So very, very wrong.

Gemina runs a bit parallel to Illuminae.  In the sense that it takes place at the Heimdall Jump Station, which is where Kady and Ezra where headed at the end of the first book.  When we start no one on the Jump Station knows about what's happened on Kerenza. Which was a nice way to get to see our main characters in a natural sort of light.  Who they were before they were forced to fight for the lives due to Beitech Black Ops.

Jay and Amie don't waste anytime getting into the thick of things.  Gemina takes off running from the first page.  They don't waste any time going back through with a recap of what happened in the last book.  Everything is about what's going on at the Jump Station, with reminders of how long until the Hypatia arrives.  Which honestly added a little more stress to the reading, because I know where the plot is currently sitting, and all Hanna and Nik need to do save the day.  Then a page pops with hours until everything gets really, real.

I honestly loved the new cast of characters that came in.  Hanna was a super strong female character that we need more of, but without being too cold.  She felt every blow the BeiTech people threw at her.  Only to get back up and fight harder.  Nik was a precious little snowflake stuck in a bad place with no way out.  He did bad things, but a few of those bad things made me love him that much more.  And, Ella!  Hands down the Little Spider was my favorite.

There was was no missing that his book belonged inside the Illuminae World, not just because BeiTech was invovled or the mention of Kernza.  But, by the way people talked and what the talked about.  The science aspect rolled over, the pacing of the story was the same, and thank you Jay and Amie for bringing back the narrator.  The dude watching all the video and writing up reports about he say.

He was my favorite in Illuminae and he's my favorite bit of Gemina!

I loved that AIDAN back, even if we have to wait until the end to get him. It's worth the wait to sort of see what the last few days with Kady have done for him.  Good to briefly see how things have changed since we left the crew on the Hypatia.

Speaking of the ending, my heart was in my throat the closer to the end that we got.  In fact there was a moment when I nearly closed the book and refused to finish it.  Because if I don't read it, then it didn't happen. Right?! RIGHT?!  It was such a good ending for the build up through the whole book.  Including the bit at the very end in the courtroom.  I love Hanna's last words in the book.

Gemina was an amazing book!  It had everything I loved about the first and then more.  I was rooting for the home team and grossed about the space bugs!  I fell in love with Ella, and made weird faces on the bus as I read.  People noticed, they stared! But it was worth!  I'm super excited for the last installment that comes out this year!!  Best way to start off 2017! I've also decided that for the movies Alan Tudyk needs to voice AIDAN.  Just saying...

Buy, Burrow, or Skip: BUY THIS ONE!  BUY ALL OF THEM!

No comments:

Post a Comment