Monday, October 9, 2017

Berserker - Review

Author: Emmy Laybourne
Genre: Fantasy 
Series: Berserker #1
Format: ARC - Paperback
Pages: 288
Release Date: October 10, 2017

Her brother Stieg swears their powers are a gift from the old gods, but Hanne Hemstad knows she is truly cursed. It's not Stieg's fault that their father is dead, their mother has left, and their brother Knut has been accused of a crime he didn't commit.

No, the fault lies with Hanne and her inability to control her murderous "gift"--she is a Berserker. When someone she loves is threatened, she flies into a killing state. The siblings must leave Norway for the American frontier or risk being brought to justice.

Aided by a young cowboy who agrees to be their guide, Hanne and her siblings use their powers to survive the perilous trail, where blizzards, wild animals, and vicious bounty hunters await.

Will they be able to reach their uncle, the one man Hanne believes may be able to teach her how to control her drive to kill?



I was really lucky to receive an Advance Reader's Copy from Fierce Reads for my honest review of the book. So a huge thank you to them for that!

While there was a lot about Berserker that called to my from the synopsis, I wasn't sure how I was going to like it. I haven't had the best like with books best in the "Old West" the last couple of years, but I wanted to to like it so much. But, I wasn't going to let that put me off, there was so much more that sounded up my alley: Norse mythology, badass female characters, adorable cowboy and his dog.

I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Emmy Laybourne's writing style pulled me in write from the start. I loved the introduction to Hanne and Knut. Even more, I adore when writers just throw the reader into the heart of the story. However it never felt like I was playing catch up to learn about the character's past. Through their interchanging point of views (Hanne and Owen) you learn about their past as the story slides along. Little bits of flashbacks here and there.

Right from the start we're shown the exactly what both our main characters are capable of, seen their hearts and their problems. For me it was a nice way to quickly start to bond with characters. Though, I have to say I was much more a fan of Owen through most of the book. A lot of times Hanne grated on my nerves. I just wanted to shake her because the answer to her problem was right in front of her, but she refused to listen. 

Seriously?!

That being said, I loved that Emmy Laybourne could pull that kind of emotion out of me as I read. She created some amazing, and well rounded, characters that fall in love and hate with every fiber of your being. Characters that you just can't wait to see die, and other's you can't help but root for.

Her plot moved wonderfully as well, and showed the vast amount of research that went into the story. Not just with the Norse mythology, but into the "wild west" of Montana. She paints a beautifully, and terrifying, picture of life back in the late 1800's. 

I could not put this book down, and had a hard time finding places to stop so I could sleep. Every turn was something else to uncover and what is going to happen next. Even when I realized what was set up to happen, I couldn't stop. I needed to know how it was all going to go down. 

Absolutely devoured this book, and I hope there is another to come!

Buy, borrow, or skip: BUY IT! Berserker hits shelves October 10 (yup tomorrow!) and I suggest running, not walking, to get a copy! Do it!!

HAPPY READING!   

No comments:

Post a Comment