Monday, April 24, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme started by the Broke and the Bookish.  Each week they chose a new meme and bloggers pick their Top Ten Books, TV Shows, Movies, etc that fit that theme. This week theme is: What makes me put down (or pass up) a book.

  • Romance Novels
    • This is just one Genre I've never been able to get into.  Just not my thing.
  • Spy Books
    • The Spy Thriller is another Genre I've just never gotten into.  Occasionally one will sound good, but I never manage to make it through the entire book.
  • Books written in First Person
    • This is a serious personal perference on my part.  I always have a hard time getting into books where the story is told first peron.  The only expection to this rule is books set through diary enteries and letters.
  • Textbook Nonfiction
    • This comes down to tone of the book.  Sometimes when I read a nonfiction book it's like I'm back in school reading and a textbook.  Which no matter the subject always puts me off to the point I usaully don't pick it up.
  • Annoying Main Characters
    • Annoying may be a little harsh.  I'm not a fan of books where the main character (male or female) just lets the events of the book happen.  Where the complain about everything that's being thrust upon them.  I want strong main characters that take all the crap thrown at them, yeah they complain, but the come of it stronger.  Not just letting the story happen to them and let other people save them.
  • Love Triangles
    • These thing. I don't know, they've never been my cup of tea.  Always I find myself wanting to yell for the main character to just pick one!
  • Some Sci-Fi
    • This is a genre that I'm super picky about when I get books. I'm not a huge Science Fiction fan, but I have found a few gems in the Genre.  But I usually pass these books by unless something hooks me.
  • Too Much Backstory
    • I love backstory.  I love when the characters have a past, not matter what that is.  But sometimes all that backstory gets thrown at me to quickly and I get whiplash.  Too much information at the start of the book is always a reason I put them down.  
  • Overly Hyped Books
    • Okay, books with a lot of press and blog hype always make me nervous to read, because what if I don't like it as much as everyone else.  Yada, yada, yada... So I generally pass these books for something else.  Though I usually pick them up later so I can enjoy this story.
  • If I've seen the movie first
    • I don't even know why this is, but if I've seen the movie first I can never make it through the book.  I spend the whole time comparing the two and finding the difference.  So this is why I'm a stickler for reading before watching.

So what's something that makes you pass a book, or just put it down before you've finished it?

No comments:

Post a Comment