Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday - The Radium Girls

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme started by Breaking the Spine, where bloggers chose a book they are patiently, or maybe not so patiently, waiting to ready!

Release Date: May 2, 2017
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Author: Kate Moore
Genre: Non-Fiction
Pages: 480

As World War I raged across the globe, hundreds of young women toiled away at the radium-dial factories, where they painted clock faces with a mysterious new substance called radium. Assured by their bosses that the luminous material was safe, the women themselves shone brightly in the dark, covered from head to toe with the glowing dust. With such a coveted job, these “shining girls” were considered the luckiest alive—until they began to fall mysteriously ill. As the fatal poison of the radium took hold, they found themselves embroiled in one of America’s biggest scandals and a groundbreaking battle for workers’ rights.



Why I'm Waiting: Up until I stumbled across this book (which I can't remember how I did) I had never heard about these girls. My flatmate however knew exactly who they were, though. So I'm intrigued to read this book and learn about these women and what they went through working in these factories.

Does anyone have a favorite book about women during WW 1?

No comments:

Post a Comment