Friday, March 20, 2020

Bites of Terror - Review

Author: Cuddles and Rage
Genre:  Graphic Novel / Humor / Horror
Format: Paperbak
Pages: 144

First a huge thank you Quirk Books for sending me an early copy of Bites of Terror! What follows in my honest review.

Okay, so I requested this book because it looked absolutely ridiculous, and right up my alley. Not to mention the author are listed as Cuddles and Rage. I mean I couldn't pass up the chance to get my hand this graphic novel.

So, Bites of Terror is set up kind of like the Tale of the Crypt with a little bit of the Twilight Zone sprinkled into the mix. Both were shows I adored as a kid which meant I had held high hopes for what I wanted this graphic novel to be, and it honestly hit all the rights notes or me. It's weird, funny, and is totally ridiculous.

Let's start with my favorite bit of Bite of Terror.  This graphic novel isn't animated, it's photographed. So much work goes into each panel that I spent just as much time trying to find all the little details as I did reading each story. The details are amazing and it's not something you see every day in graphic novels. I was blown away by the amount of work these two put into each little panel and ultimately the entire story. All without distracting from the story.

Each story has a theme and the book follows a menu of sorts. A three course meal if you will: starts, mains, and desserts. The food in each section matches the course of the meal you are on. There were a few stories I liked more than others as is usually the case in all of these, but there wasn't one that I completely disliked. Though the story right at the start is my favorite of them all, and was a strong opener for the book.

I also really liked our narrator, the Cake Creeper and is pet Eyevon. He was a great way to not only keep the main story flowing, but also to make each of the stories seem like they had a place in the plot. 

Speaking of the main plot, it was super cheesy. However, it was done in such an over the top way that I really enjoyed it. I'd catch on a twists a bite of terror before it was revealed, or there would an over dramatic evil genius monologue. It was meant to easy to figure out because it's meant to be funny. To poke fun something that as a kid kid of freaked me out. So it was great to get to laugh at myself a little in such a fun way.

Without a doubt this is weird graphic novel, and pretty sure there might something fundamentally wrong with Cuddles and Rage. But, who needs to right with a book like this. I really did enjoy it and I'm already passing it along to friends. So again, thank you Quirk Books. This was great!

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: I say buy. This is one of those books that is too much fun not share with your friends, and it's definitely one you can go back to and read again.   



Bites of Terror will be officially out March 24th! Mark your calendars!
HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment