Saturday, August 22, 2020

A Case of Possession - Review

Author: KJ Charles
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Format: eBook
Pages: 151

This is such a fun, albeit dirty, series. It starts off just a few months after the first book ended, and does a nice job of summing up those events without spoiling anything. So if you were to read the books out of order you wouldn't be too spoiled. Maybe only slightly confused.

I thought A Case of Possession was a wonderful second installment to this series. The relationship between Crane and Stephen is starting to grow, and actually, feelings now seem involved. Though what I really liked about this story is the fact these two actually talk about the issue that are happening between them. They have discussions about things like a normal couple. A trope I find annoying in any genre. I don't think it took away from the drama but added to it.

The plot for this book plays a little more heavily in Crane's background when he was in China. So as the mystery unfolded you got a deeper look at things that were barely mentioned in the first book. Though I have a thousand questions about this warlord that Merrick keeps mentioning. The plot is also pretty fast-moving and I had a hard time finding a good place to put it down. Between the mystery itself and what was to come of Stephen and Crane, I ended mostly reading the book in one sitting, way past my bedtime.

As for the mystery itself, it did keep me guessing, but I'm pretty sure that's because I was sidetracked with the drama happening with Stephen and Crane. Still, I felt like it had some good twists and build-ups. I was also very satisfied with how things ended on that front. 

The romance in this book is definitely more present. I enjoy the banter between Stephen and Crane, and how their relationship works as a whole. Things have shifted for these two and I can't wait to see what that means for them in the next book. I just want them to be happy together!

Honestly, I find I really enjoy KJ Charles' writing style. She does a great amount of research to build the world these characters live in. I love the system of magic she's created, and I was glad to have finally met Ester Gold! She was everything I wanted her to be. Though I was sad we didn't get as much of Merrick. I do love that man.

All-in-all a great second book a fun read!

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: If you just putting your toe in the Romance world like me I saw borrow until you learn what you love. Otherwise, I say buy, I could see myself re-reading this series again.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment