Thursday, February 22, 2024

Mini Reviews

 



This! This! I'm so glad I stumbled across this. So last year I discovered my favorite way to open the kitchen was through audiobooks, and this has been sitting on my library shelf for a few months. I was saving for my next slump, when I didn't know what to read, or lost my will to finish whatever I was reading. And, this was worth the wait! I loved this spin on canon on how Moriarty became the criminal mastermind, what drove him, and Dominic Monaghan as Moriarty was a brilliant cast, the story was solid and made it hard to push the pause button at open when I needed to focus. In fact, the story pushed them from being my at-work book to my waiting for the bus, doing laundry, and doing extra chores book. I loved that it ended on a cliffhanger because it set up the second perfectly. While the cast as a whole was brilliant my absolute favorite was that Billy Boyd plays one of my favorite Holmsian characters, Sebastion Moran. I enjoyed this entire thing so much that I immediately jumped into the second story. Which I would have done even without the cliffhanger because Monaghan makes a brilliant Moriarty and I was ready to let that go.



I want more of these. Many, many more. I loved the team-up between Sherlock and Moriarty, you could taste their distance from each other. Though, I was a little bummed that the voice that for Moran changed, he was still brilliantly portrayed. The Silent Order brings in one of my favorite Holmsian villains, Milverton. Only this time Milverton is a woman, but voiced by Helen Mirren. This is the story that ties up a large chunk of the loose ends together from the first audiobook while diving a little deeper into the organization that created Porlock. I thought that did justice to Milverton, and I loved that it was Moriarty who managed to beat her and not Sherlock. This is such an interesting take on the classic characters. I felt the ending was solid and I was satisfied with how both stories wrapped up, though my heart ached for Moriary at the end. 

Still, I would love to get more of these stories, no matter where they fall in the timeline of the first two. I thoroughly enjoyed the stories and the case.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment