Thursday, October 13, 2016

Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Sleepy Hallow


In keeping with the Horror October theme, I chose my next Throwback read not because it ever really scared me, but because it's just plain creepy.  I was drawn to the book because of the mystery side of the story.  However, the sort of ominous feel to the story kept me hook and I read it one in sitting.


Original Publishing Date: 1820
Author: Washington Irving
Genre: Gothic/Horror
Series: Stand Alone

Sleepy Hollow is a strange little place...some say bewitched. Some talk of its haunted valleys and streams, the ghostly woman in white, eerie midnight shrieks and howls, but most of all they talk of the Headless Horseman. A huge, shadowy soldier who rides headless through the night, terrifying unlucky travellers.

Schoolteacher Ichabod Crane is fascinated by these stories....Until late one night, walking home through Wiley's swamp, he finds that maybe they're not just stories.

What is that dark, menacing figure riding behind him on a horse? And what does it have in its hands?

And why wasn't schoolteacher Crane ever seen in Sleepy Hollow again?



The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is definitely a Classic when it comes to Horror.  In fact I feel like it's more of a Gothic tale, than Horror as we know it today.  I'm a sucker for a good Gothic Tale.  Which something I haven't found a lot in recently published works.  So if anyone has any good recommendations I'd love to have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment