Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Lost Boy Review

Author: hristina Henri
Release Date: July 4th, 2017
Publisher: Berkley Books
Genre: Retelling
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304





There is one version of my story that everyone knows. And then there is the truth. This is how it happened. How I went from being Peter Pan’s first—and favorite—lost boy to his greatest enemy.


Peter brought me to his island because there were no rules and no grownups to make us mind. He brought boys from the Other Place to join in the fun, but Peter's idea of fun is sharper than a pirate’s sword. Because it’s never been all fun and games on the island. Our neighbors are pirates and monsters. Our toys are knife and stick and rock—the kinds of playthings that bite.


Peter promised we would all be young and happy forever.


I was very lucky to get an advanced copy of Lost Boy at Comic Con at the Penguin Booth. Honestly I couldn't believe my luck, I've so excited to get my hands on this!

Lost Boy is the first book I've read written by Christina Henry. That didn't stop me from being excited about it! Not only is Lost Boy told from Captain Hook's point of view, but James Hook started out as a Lot Boy. Everyone as their own theories on who Captain Hook once was before becoming a Captain of the Neverland Pirates. This is one of my favorites theories on why he was on Neverland.

It wasn't hard to fall in love with Jamie. He's fierce protectiveness of the Lost Boys and natural leadership makes easy to like. I spent so much of the book rooting for him, and fearing for him because we all know the endgame. I spent so much of the book feeling bittersweet to know that Jamie was going to become Captain Hook.

The story flows well, I never felt like there was an unnecessary moment that pulled from the flow of the story. Jamie had a strong voice throughout the story, I never felt like it wavered. While occasional the story jumped from past to present, I never got lost with where we were with the plot. She made so easy to hate Peter for what he was doing, but also feel a little sorry for the boy who would never grow up.  Each character that Christina Henry introduces has their own voice and is anything put one dimensional. It was nice to see the care she put into each Lost Boy. I think that was made it harder when one would die.

I think what I liked the most was how the whole story came together. How we got introduced to all the things as Jamie saw them unfold and we were left to piece them together as plot went along. I found myself hoping I was wrong when another piece was put into place. Hoping that Peter wouldn't be so cruel.

Christina Henry wrote an amazing book that creates a whole new kind of Neverland with a whole different kind of Peter Pan. This isn't the story of the boy who would never grow up, but the story of the boy that had to. 

While I did find a few faults in the story, most I am sure had to do with the fact I received and ARC copy, because they were small things that aren't with mentioning. Peter Pan is one of my favorite stories, and I use to have it read to me again and again before bed. Lost Boy was an amazing way to reconnect to that story again.

There will definitly be more Christina Henry books in my future, and I can't wait to read the published version of Lost Boy. Which hits shelves this Fourth of July!! Totally a book worth taking on a picnic to get lost in the magic of Neverland!

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: BUY IT! RIGHT NOW! Don't wait, run!  

No comments:

Post a Comment