Friday, August 28, 2020

Peaky Blinders Cocktail Book - Review

Author: Sandra Houdre-Gregoire
Genre: Cookbook
Format: NetGalley
Pages: 112
Huge thanks to the Publisher and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book for my honest review!

I have to say this was a fun and quick read. Naturally, all of the cocktails tie back into the show with characters having their own drink, along with some of the themes surrounding the show. As someone who has binged, and done many a rewatch, it was nice little touch to recall certain moments and characters that are no longer with us.

The cast photos were a nice touch as well. Not only is Peaky Blinders a wonderfully written show, but the costume department does a wonderful job as well. So the high res photos were a wonderful addition to get a closer look at those. The photos of the cocktails were a wonderful, and colorful, addition as well. One page held a quick and easy recipe while the next had a photo of what your cocktail should look like. Even though I read this as an ebook, I could see they set up the Hardback will have and I think it lovely.

I also liked the sketches the joined the recipes themselves, it helped to keep with the Peaky Blinders theme. 

The books has three different sections: Rum, Gin, and Other Spirits. Each section has a handful of cocktails that I'd personally never heard of before, and found a few drinks in each section I would love to try to make myself. And, a few I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try because I'm not really sure how I feel about marmalade in a cocktail. There is also a lovely index at the back of the book for a quick search of anything you are in the mood for.

Honestly, my biggest issue with this book had nothing to with the book itself. It was just very hard to read in ebook form. Some of the photos were distorted, and I had to turn the flip option off my phone to read a few pages they were set in a vertically instead of horizontally like the rest of the book. An issue that will not carry over to physical copies I'm sure.

For my first book gifted to me through NetGalley I was happy with it. It was a quick read, but an enjoyable one. In fact, I'd love to add this to my collection of cookbooks when it officially released. Hints have already been dropped about how this would make a wonderful of Christmas present.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: If want to read a fun companion from the show I'd say snag this bad boy from your local library. If you, like myself, collect cookbooks I'd say buy. Not only is it a fun conversation starter, but the drinks are also easily made at home, and Tommy Shelby is on the cover.

Peaky Blinders Cocktail Book: 40 Cocktails Selected by The Shelby Company Ltd comes out on September 22, 2020!  


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment