Tuesday, July 27, 2021

The Game - Review

Author: Linsey Miller
Genre: Young Adults / Thriller 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 240

The Game was one of my Most Anticipated reads from last year. It sounded like a cross between The Most Dangerous Game and The ABC Murders. So my attention had been grabbed. At the end of the day, because I did devour this book one day, this one fell middle of the road for me. I liked it, but it was a bit of a mixed bag of what I liked and didn't like.

Let's start with the Game itself. This was part that I liked the most as sort of an unofficial town tradition for its Seniors. For most of the book, it all seems innocent enough. Almost like a way for the seniors to unwind from the stress of graduating and the choices of what to do with their lives going forward. The rules are even set up to avoid being arrested, harming players, or anything else dangerous. However there is the mystery of who the Council of the Game actually are, and as the story unfolds I'm not overly sure the Game is as innocent as most of the town tell themselves it is. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure the Council has changed since the creation of the game. I also think the Game is the perfect distraction for the murders happening in Lincoln. I got so caught up with Lia and the Game, I actually wasn't trying to figure out who was killing people until maybe three-quarters of the way through the book.

I liked the way that Miller told this story. It's a bit all over the place, but then again so is Lia. I think that's why the mystery part falls a little short on your focus as you read. Since she's so focused on the game, as the reader you are too. I thought the fame job was fine considering who the actual doer of the story was and the reasons behind what they were killing. My only short of the issue is I don't know if I'd call a town with over three hundred seniors small. I grew up just a little north of Arkansas and my senior class was only in the double digits. But that's a small complaint. For a Young Adult book, I wasn't made the mystery/thriller part of the story.

I was also very pleased with the small side message that it's okay not to have your life figured out by the time you graduate college. It was good to see someone else say that it's okay to take a year off to save money or figure some things out. I liked seeing someone else that Trade School should be an option more high schools talk about because they should. They are just as valid. And, Community College is also a great option for those still unsure of what they want from their life. So hearing Gem say all of these things were great. They should be said more and louder for those in the back.

Now to the mix bag part, the cast of characters. Gem and Devon were the only two characters I honestly cared about of the main cast. Lia was great in the role as far as unreliable narrators go, and the story wouldn't have worked without her being so unseen about everyone around her. That being said it would be nice to see a bit more growth from Lia after the second murder considering who they were. Or, even the third considering the circumstances, but she's so meh about all the thing that gets on your nerves after a while. Yes, we all understand why this is so important to you, but bless Gem and Devon for sticking with her because I don't think I would have.

On top of that the cop who comes in after the third murder was a little much. While the frame job was acceptable considering the doer, a trained cop who moved into Lincoln (I assume from a bigger city) should have seen the cracks. He also wouldn't have been able to talk to an underage suspect the way he did and show her crime scene photos. That wouldn't have flown either. But, it added a nice bit of flair and gave me reasons to hate Lia's parents more. Which is my next point.

Lia's parents are the kind of parents that don't parent in the verb sense, not for either of their children. Their eldest was their favorite because he made them look good. He gave them something to brag about and to be proud of, but the second they realize that Lai falls in the middle of the "normal" things they try to control what she does. And, when she doesn't make them proud, she because a side note. They made my eyes twitch. It was kind of surprising that Lia wasn't the doer.

All-in-all it was a solid read. I devoured this in one day and enjoyed the ride, and would definitely read another book by Linsey Miller.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment