Monday, March 20, 2023

Worth Her Weight in Gold - Review

Author: Sarah Gailey
Genre: Alt History
Format: Kindle Book
Pages: 18



I talk a lot about the River of Teeth series. It combines two of my favorite things: heists and hippos. Bonus points for it being based on one of my favorite little fun facts in history. So I knew I was going to love this short story because I'm already in love with Houndstooth and Rosie. This series introduced me to Sarah Gailey's writing style, and I fell in love with the wild west world they created.


Worth Her Weight Gold kicks off with Houndstooth up to his usual tricks. Wrapping a heist by the skin of his teeth, only to find his ride, Rosie the Hippo, refusing to move. Thus starts the story of how Rosie got her gold tusk.


The story itself is just eighteen pages, but in those short pages, you see just how much Houndstooth loves Rosie. While also giving a little hint at the two novellas set after this story. Just a little foreshadowing of the trauma that we learn about in the River of Teeth series.


My favorite part about this book, is we learn a little more about the type of hippo that Rosie is. If you come into this after reading the original series, you know Rosie is the last of her breed, and Houndstood is the reason behind her bloodline. But, I don't remember that we got the comparison on what exactly makes Rosie so different.


But, this book is, after all, all about Rosie. So we finally find out what makes her so special. 


It doesn't matter what order read these in. Whether you start with this book, or with River of Teeth. One doesn't spoil the other. This is just a fun little story inside the River Teeth series. Honestly, I'd love more books in this universe. I feel like there are so many more bungled heists in Houndstooth past I'd love to read about it.


Plus, Rosie is always a delight. Who wouldn't want to ride a hippo through the swamps? Apex predator or not, it would be cool as hell!


Anyhow, if you like heists, Westerns, hippos, and some amazing sass and banter. Please just out this series by Sarah Gailey, and any other books by them. Even if you're not sure, dip your toes into Worth Her Weight in Gold. It's eighteen quick pages of delight! 





HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment