Friday, April 21, 2023

DNF That Book


Does this still need to be a topic of conversation? In the year 2023 are we still crawling our way through books that we just aren't feeling? Because you don't and I don't think anyone should. I think that the best thing about books is that they don't expire. No matter how long that book sits on you, or how many times you start or finish it.

I guess on the one hand I kind of get it. You've managed to get halfway through the book, surely you can get through the other half. Or, everyone else has liked it, surely if you just gave it more of a chance. Even a need to finish something you've started. 

And, if it's just something you have to do, finish what you started, then do that. Don't let me tell you how to read. Because it's lawless, there are no rules. Read the way you need to read.

But, if you just need the reminder that it's okay to put that book down. Here it is, put it down. It's okay. You can pick it up again later, donate it, or give it to a friend. Or, just put it back on your shelf, forget about it, and discover it again weeks later. 

Yes, I have done that. I may hold the record of how many times I say, "I forgot I owned this book." Then put it in a new pile in an attempt to finally read it. So you're in good company!

In case you also need to hear this, it's okay not to like that super hyped book that you've seen all over Bookstagram and BookTok. It just wasn't for you. Just like it's okay to read a book that's had a lot of hype in case you don't like it. 

Reading is supposed to be fun, a hobby, and you should only read the books you want. The books that pull you into the pages. Sometimes that's not booked currently in your lap. Sometimes the cover and the back of the book pull you in, but the story just doesn't do it for you.

It's okay, just put it down and try another one.  And if you're someone who has to finish what your start, and you just can't put the book down. I make a pretty good cheerleader, and my DMs on Instagram and Twitter are always open!

HAPPY READING!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment