Saturday, April 8, 2023

Inside Man - Review

 

Author: K.J Parker
Genre: Novella
Format: Kindle
Pages: 127

I like K.J. Parker's books, especially the strange novellas he puts out. They are weird, funny, brutal, and kind of make you think of the bigger picture of things. And, while at times these are hard to read, I do enjoy taking them apart. 

Prosper's Demon is one of my favorites. So I was pumped that we were going to get a second book with his exorcist series. My favorite part of this series it doesn't follow the traditional path of most exorcist novels. The demons in this universe are different, and the rules are different. 

Unlike the first book, this one follows the narration of one of those demons himself. A demon who up until recently was a top operative, but got hurt while "on duty". It got a cozy job messing up the prayers to some Lord to keep him in heaven. Until something upsets the balance.

This story is done in the weird, sardonic humor that is K.J. Parker's writing style. These books are barely over a hundred pages long, but they aren't something I can sit and read all day. The books in this series make you think a lot of theology, even if these stories are set in a fantasy world. 

While I enjoy the dry wit and who doesn't like the idea of a demon getting pumped at any moment. This one kind of broke my brain and took a few days to get through. I like that about Parker's books though, and it's the reason I jumped back into this series. Or, any of the novellas set in this world.

Also, you don't have to read Prosper's Demon first but does help set up the world, and the exorcists. But, the story as a whole isn't affected if you haven't read it first. But you should, it's great!


HAPPY READING!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment