Thursday, October 21, 2021

Agents of Dreamland - Review

Author: Caitlin R. Kiernan
Genre: Science Fiction
Format: Novella
Pages: 123

What in the X-Files? Okay, so I found this tucked away at the library, the cover was hard to pass over, and the back of the book had my attention. I put off reading it because aliens freak me out, and this had huge outer space vibes. While I wasn't wrong about this, I also wasn't right. In fact, what I got was a wild ride stuffed in a little over a hundred pages, and I'm going to do my best to unpack it. Though I don' know if I'll do this book, or its author, justice.

I feel like the first thing I should mention is just how much information Kiernan packs into just a few short pages. Each chapter is another piece to the puzzle, but nothing is told in any sort of order, so sometimes you know where each piece goes the right way. I managed to get halfway through the book before I managed to piece together the biggest piece, but I still wasn't sure how everything was going to be tied together from the past, present, and future.

And I still don't. What I know is how present and the future. Which means I don't know the how or the why. Okay, I know a little of the why I think. Not that those answers matter to the gist of this story with the Signalman. His part of the story is done. And, while the end left with me questions. I'm satisfied with how this book ended, and I'm eager to pick up the second book. I want to see how the new story will fit into the timeline already built into this book.

Now, while the Signalman and Imacolata's story is very in the vein of X-Files and Fringe, and they were very well done. I have some theories about Imacolata that I'm curious to see if any of them are correct in the next novella. But, despite those shows being two of my favorites, their parts weren't my favorite. Even though I thought both of their chapters were well written and a lot of fun. Especially Immocalata because time travel is generally one of my least favorite things, but Kiernan handled it a way that did mess with the tenses and I could keep track of the when.

My favorite part of this book was the cult because we weren't just seeing it through the eyes of its leader of the government agency set out to stop them. We see it through the eyes of a member, and not just any member, but an important member. Seeing all of this happen through Chloe's eyes makes it all a little more unnerving. How she's given herself over to Drew's teachings and accepted the things that are happening to her so willing are crazy, and reading her chapters was extremely hard. I had to stop several times after her chapters because it was almost like falling down the rabbit with her. It was wild and fascinating and sad all at once. 

This is a hundred percent a series I'll be continuing. I'm invested in it now. I have questions that need answers, and I really liked the way that Kiernan writes. The story-telling in this was off the charts and I love the fact it's also a short read. Nothing is drawn out and overthought, the plot moves quickly despite a non-linear timeline, and this was a great introduction to this Tinfoil world. Book Two is already on hold, and I can tell you I'm not emotionally prepared for anything that's about to happen in those two hundred pages.


 HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment