Thursday, August 18, 2022

Garlic and the Vampire

 

Author: Bree Paulsen
Genre: Middle Grade / Graphic Novel
Format: Hardback
Pages: 160

This is the second graphic novel I've picked up my Bree Paulson, the first being Patrik the Vampire. Though it wasn't until I picked this up from the library that I made the connection. I couldn't even tell you how I made the connection. But, it made me even more excited to read it because I absolutely adored the Patrick the Vampire series.

Just as I thought this was absolutely adorable, both the story and the artwork. I love the idea of a Witch Agnes created these creatures to help tend her garden, but they somehow managed to take on a life of her own. But instead of freaking out, she just let them be and create this absolutely adorable little community. And in that community is the most adorable little Garlic just filled with anxiety.

I don't think I've related to vegetables more.

Paulsen's artwork is great and I love the color palette she uses for this book. It's fall colors, but nothing too dark. Very outdoorsy. Each panel is full of detail and a great addition to the story.

A story I think is great. This is definitely geared toward younger readers. The story is all about how you can't judge a book by its cover and finding bravery in yourself. Garlic is a great main character who starts out so unsure of herself, but thanks to Celery is forced to find a way to brave by facing the vampire that moved into the castle not far from Witch Anges' farm.

I think it's great for young readers with a great resolution to the story, but it's also a fun read for older readers. Garlic is an adorable main character and Paulsen has created an adorable world to put her in. I also really love Paulsen pulled some old vampire lore as well, like the counting of the rice. It's something I haven't seen a lot in recent vampire books. So that was fun.

Definitely a fun read, and a reminder that I adore Paulsen's stories, and I'm excited there is going to be another book in the Garlic Series!


HAPPY READING!!

2 comments: