Thursday, May 6, 2021

Delicates - Review

Author: Brenna Thummler
Genre: Middle Grade 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 320

Delicates takes place a year after the first book in the series Sheets, and this installment deals with some heavier themes than the first volume. In Delicates bullying takes place and suicidal thoughts are mentioned. I'm going to start with how those themes were addressed first. So trigger a warning to all who need it. 

While the two main themes in this volume are heavy and hard to talk about, I feel like Brenna Thummler approached both in an age-appropriate way. The bullying in Delicates is sadly something you see in any Middle School. Only I felt like Delicates took it a step farther because it was also about the kids who blindly follow the bullies. The ones who say, 'but it wasn't my idea', and even their actions can negatively affect people. But, it's also about seeing that maybe your a part of the problem and fixing it. Our main character realizes this about herself and goes about making amends to the people, and ghosts, that she hurt. I really like that forgiveness was a part of this book because it is a Middle Grade target book. While most older readers know not everyone can change, it's a nice theme to see in a book targeted at younger readers. Hope is never a terrible thing.

Dealing with the theme of suicide in a book no matter for what age range is always hard. Even more so with a book targeted as Middle-Grade. Personally, I feel like Breena Thummler approached the topic as gracefully as possible while making Eliza as reliable as possible to readers of a lot of ages. Eliza is going through a lot this year: repeating the eighth grade, being different, being into ghosts. All of these are reasons the popular crowd use to her bully her. I found I really liked Eliza's POV for as sad as they were, they were beautiful in a way. I also liked the way that Thummler used Wendell to try to explain to Marjorie about the fact that Eliza was suicidal, opening the door to the fact that Eliza wasn't alone in what she felt. I think the subject was handled in a way that most Middle-Grade readers would understand, and in a way that would allow them to ask questions.

As for the book as a whole, I adored the thing. It does have a happy ending, which is how I like my Middle-Grade books, and it's an ending that I felt fit the story as a whole. I love that Marjorie shared her secret about Wendell with Eliza and her brother. I thought it was a great continuation of the first book. I would also love to get another installment, mostly because I adore Wendell, and now the friendship between Wendell and Eliza.

The artwork is still great. I love how Brenna Thummler uses color throughout each panel as the story progresses. The palette changes as the season change, but no panel is ever too dark though, and there are always so many little details. I always feel like there is something I miss on every page. 

A beautiful second installment and I hope there will be a third!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment