Friday, May 7, 2021

The Night Library - Review

Author: Jessica Levai
Genre: Novella
Format: Paperback
Pages: 160
Okay, so a couple of weeks ago I saw this book on the newsletter I get from Shelf Awareness, and there wasn't anything about it. Not even the usual little review. However, the cover and the title caught my eye. So while I was waiting on my bus I jumped onto my library's site and did a bit of research on it. Luck would have that my library location had a copy so after I worked I went and snagged up that copy. One hundred percent picked this up because of the cover and only a sort of idea of what it was about.

What I didn't realize was this book was written in long verse. What I knew was it was about vampires and was sort of like an opera. All pluses in my world. Because I've never read a book set to read like an opera. But, I'm glad I took a chance at this book.

This is the beautiful love story of a girl who falls in love with a vampire, but it cannot be because she is the heir to a Hunter clan. It's a classic kind of love that was doomed from the start, but you just can look away because a part of you hopes that just maybe this time the story will end differently. Even though we all know that it won't.

The part about this book that I like the most is in the end what stops the Graf and Kunigunde apart wasn't some overly dramatic plot or a war between the Hunters and the Vampires. It's a duty, and it's such a well-played moment in the book. It was perfect. It's not tragic just sad in a way that breaks your heart. A love that almost was. Because they could usually turn their nose up at their duty and be together, but they both understand the consequences of those choices. 

I was a little worried that the long verse would trip me up because it's not something I read often, or honestly see a lot in genres that call to me. But, I actually really liked the choice of long verse for the story. It not only added to the beauty of the story that was being told, but it served as a way to slow down my reading of the book itself. Normally I fly through novellas because the story moves so fast. And, while the plot does move very quickly here, having the long verse meant I was hyper-focused on every aspect of the story. Also, the time and effort it took the author to manage to not only tell a story in a long verse but one that hooks you right from the start. 

Mostly because I adored Kunigunde. She keeps a level-ish head for someone so young, and watching her fall in love and then realize why she couldn't have that love was the most beautiful ride I've been on in a while. I really could go on and on, I really enjoyed this book. I'm so glad it found its way into my inbox.

The only small complaint I had was toward the end when multiple characters were interacting I had a hard time keeping up with who was talking. Which might have been a personal problem. Because after re-reading a couple of pages I got a feel for how the dialog was bouncing and jived with what was happening.

But, yeah if vampires are your thing, and you want a quick and beautiful read. Definitely give this one a check. I really enjoyed it. I also think this the most I've used the beautiful when referencing a book. So there's that!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment