Friday, November 12, 2021

The Montague Twins Vol 1 - Review

Author: Nathan Page
Genre: Graphic Novel/Mystery/Young Adult
Format: Hardback
Pages: 352
This was my second read-through of The Witch's Hand. I put it on hold last summer not long after it originally came out. It was one of the books I had forgotten about due to Covid and life changes, but quickly remembered when I saw I sequel was due out this December. I remembered liking the book and the characters, and a little about the plot itself. Kind of like vague flashes of what happened. So before the new volume dropped on shelves I wanted to do a quick re-read to catch myself back up.

One of the biggest things I had forgotten about this book was how much I not only loved the main characters but all of the supporting cast characters as well. They all fit together nicely and are easily likable in their human ways. I like that none of them are perfect characters and in a lot of ways those faults are celebrated. Even the villains are easy to hate for all the right reasons.

This was a pretty classic witch story, one I've seen before, but there wasn't anything wrong with that. While the trope was one I've read before and will read again, I liked that the background story was familiar ground. This gave room for other stories to be told throughout the pages. It allowed the readers to meet our main characters, to hear Rachel's story, and solve the mystery of exactly what is happening in this town. I felt Page's use of this trope was perfect and a little different than how we normally see it. 

I also really enjoyed the artwork that Drew Shannon does for each panel as the story unfolds. It allows the reader to get a feel for the town and the characters, and the little details help push the story right along. There's something about this series that I don't think I'd enjoy as a traditional novel. Shannon adding the visual panels gives a bit more life and color that makes this story not only easy to read but easy to follow. I great compliment to Page's writing.

If I had to choose one thing that still bugs me about this series, is that we didn't get to spend a lot of time learning about how magic works in this world. I feel like Page sets up the conspiracy of how magic is taught, I wished we'd get at least one more lesson before everything hit the fan. But, knowing there was a second volume coming I have my fingers crossed we'll see a little more about the way the magic in this world works.

Also, I have to note this takes in 1969 right after the Stonewall riots, and one of the twins, Pete, does come out in the middle of the story. I thought the moment between the brothers was handled well. I bring it up because I've seen lower reviews saying that the book makes it seem like this town was accepting of Pete, but the truth is throughout the whole story only Al and Charlie know the truth. And though I assume David and his wife (apologies her name escapes me) I feel would be accepting, it's not a point brought up. But it's made quite clear that Pete has a crush on Rowan right out the gate, and honestly who doesn't. 

I just felt the above needed said after seeing a handful of reviews knock this book down for that, and I felt it unfair. Though I adore Al even more for how he handled Pete's coming out in the diner. 

But, I recommend this for anyway who grew up loving Scooby-Do, Nancy Drew, or the Hardy Boys. It's got elements from all of those and all the drama and sarcasm of the supernatural CW shows. So if any combo of those is your jam, I say pick this book up and give it a try.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment