Monday, November 15, 2021

The Murders of Molly Southbourne - Review

Author: Tade Thompson
Genre: Novella/Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 115
I don't even know where to begin with this novella. It was weird right out of the gate and got weirder with every single page, but I couldn't put this book down. I really tried to. I kept telling myself I'll get a snack once I finish this chapter. Only, when I finally got to the chapter I was like I mean there's only forty pages left, I can wait. Nex thing I devoured the whole novella and was thankful the second book had come in first so I already had it. Because I mean... Why would you end it there?!

The reason I picked up this is that the concept for this book had my attention. Every time that Molly Southbourne bleeds a doppelganger appears and tries to kill her. It's sounded like a real cook take on the lore, I was all in.

Not only was this a great take on the lore, but I love that Thompson used Molly as the storyteller throughout the entire story. It makes her a little unreliable at times, but it definitely adds to the scare factor at times seeing this happen to a little girl. Then of course finding out the whole truth as Molly gets older to explain some of the spooky stuff away. I felt like hearing the story through Molly's eyes was what made this hard to put down, especially the further into the story you get and the background of Molly's parents is being told.

I felt like Thompson did a great job of building this story in just over a hundred pages. The facts build on top of the gore and the horror, and all three components keep you going. The reader is learning along with Molly about what is happening to her, and how she ended where she was at the beginning of the novella. I love that ending makes you another book, but at the same time, I felt satisfied that the story in this book was finished. 

My favorite thing bout novella authors is when they are able to give you so much information in so few pages, but never make it feel like an information dump. I was never overwhelmed with what I was learning about Molly and her condition. There were enough breaks from facts and real-life moments to information was never overloaded.

Also, the thing about what happened to her boyfriends was pretty cool. I read that section maybe three times to make sure I read, what I thought to read it. So it's not just Molly's blood that calls forth the doppelgangers. Just saying, I should have questioned that the section about her flu.

But, I digress.

This was a weird read, but I enjoyed every second of it. I thought the story came together in a believable way, even a little tinfoil hat-like but I'm down for that. I thought the ending set us up nicely for the second book, which I'm excited to jump into.



HAPPY READING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment