Tuesday, June 21, 2022

A Spindle Splintered - Review

Author: Alix E. Harrow
Genre: Retelling / Novella
Format: Hardback
Pages: 128

Only dying girls like Sleeping Beauty.

And, little girls obsessed with dragons and ravens. It's the only princess movie I remember watching on repeat, and it had very little to do with Briar Rose. I'm a sucker for a good villain and sassy side characters. So I'm always down for retelling any version of Sleeping Beauty, and A Spindle Splintered has become a favorite. 

Zinnia Gray is the kind of the main character that immediately makes your heart bleed for them. She's dying and there's nothing anyone can do to change, and we meet on what is supposed to be her last birthday. It also makes her a great narrator because this adventure means something to her because, in theory, it's her last one, and just maybe it could give her the happily ever after she's been secretly hoping for.

There were three things I really loved about this book. The first is the relationship between Zinnia and her best friend Charm. Not only did the author find a clever what to give us a Charming of some kind, she also made this Charm fearless. A best friend who is trying to find a way to cure her best friend, but has also found a way to help Zinnia live life like she isn't dying. I feel like Charm is why Zinnia is as brave as she points out after meeting the Princess. 

Combined with a hope that at least one can be free of their curse.

The second thing I loved is sass and humor. There are so many pop culture references and inside jokes between Charm and Zinnia. At random times you find yourself laughing out loud despite how heavy parts of this book are. Personally, I felt this kept the book from getting too dark and heavy. It also wasn't just gallows humor from Zinnia. There were some great laugh-out-loud moments. Plus there are bonus points given for the author sliding in a great Princess Bride reference.

Third, I really like how this book ended. We did get a happily ever after, just not the one I really wanted. I was rooting for Zinnia to her magical ending, but I can't say I'm upset with how everything tied up for her. I really like that she found a purpose for herself at the end of this adventure. Sure her story ended on an open note, but a second book was just released last week. So maybe there is still hope yet for Zinnia's curse.

I've been in a bit of a reading slump this month, and this book pulled me right out of it. I already have the second book, A Mirror Mended, put on hold at the library. I cannot wait to see what kind of shenanigans Zinnia gets up to next.



HAPPY READING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment