Monday, June 6, 2022

Horrorstor - Review

Author: Grady Hendrix
Genre: Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 248



This was an absolute delight! I have put all of Grady Hendrix's books on my TBR, and I've seen so many other Bloggers and Bookstagramers gush about them all. Even my roommate was a fan of Horrorstor,  and maybe that's why I put off reading any of the books. I'm so weird about books with a big hype. I never seem to like them as much as I want to. 

Horrorstor was not one of those books. I was immediately pulled into the story because who doesn't like the idea of a haunted IKEA? Also, I'm glad I waited for a physical copy of this book just for the little extras that really sell the IKEA experience. Each chapter is also named after pieces of furniture that can not only be fan inside this knock-off IKEA but also pertain to that part of the story in some small, or large, part.

I also really liked that the main character Amy grows on you. At the start of the book, I wasn't her biggest fan. In fact, I pretty much assumed that she wasn't going to make it through the whole story. However, as everything unfolds, Amy sort of finds herself, and I really started to like her. She wasn't this perfect 'final girl' who walks away from this stronger and better. Sure she has to dig deep and find a part of herself she lost over the years. But, I really like how her story ends.

In fact, I love how this book ends as a whole. The main part of the story is resolved for each of the characters. Both for the better or the worse, but that's not the end. We get a look a few months down the line, and I really liked how Grady Hendrix tied it all up. I'm a sucker for the open ending. And I hope Amy kicked more ass.

However, my absolute favorite thing about Horrorstor is how it combines an actual horror story trope that is tried and true but also pokes fun at itself. While this book didn't have me sleeping with the light one. It did have me at the edge of my seat. I'm a slow reader, normally it takes me a solid week to finish a book, even one I'm into it. But, with Horrorstor I read it in three days. Work and sleep were the only things that slowed me down. 

I was super into this story from start to finish, and I'm so glad I finally picked this up. I will definitely be picking up another one of Grady Hendrix's books in the near future. As soon as I decide which one!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment