Saturday, September 3, 2022

Bone Deep - Review

 

Author: Charles Bosworth Jr. & Joel J. Schwartz
Genre: Historical Fiction
Format: Audio Book
Hours: 11 Hours

What in the made-for-Lifetime TV movie did I just discover? So originally I'm from the Middle USA and grew up in a town just like Troy, Missouri. So yes I heard about this case, in the way it was on the news all the time and people were talking. But, I somehow missed the drama of all.

I started listening to this in the morning at work when it was just me setting up our prep kitchen for the day. But, on the first day, I had to stop for about twenty minutes. Because barely passed the introduction to the crime I was listening to police officers screw up. I was listening to them do anything but their jobs. 

So I had to turn it off until I was driving home, and then I spent the rest of the night listening to this book. I call it rage reading. Because at some point someone had to step in and be in Russ Faria's corner. But, no but it own lawyer seemed to see trees from the forest.

This case is frustrating and poorly handled. I was yelling in my car, talking to myself as I listened. Put shortly I became addicted to the drama of all. The absolute ridiculousness of the case.

Because every single time I thought, 'surely this can't worse'. It does, it absolutely got worse, and I will die on the hill that the last person Pam Hubb killed could have been avoided if anyone had been doing their jobs correctly the first time. Instead of trying to force evidence to fit a theory that was a hundred percent incorrect.

This book does a real job of retelling the story of Besty Faria's murder and telling her and Russ's story. It also did a really good job of giving Pam Hupp no extra time other than to pain as the villain she was. Toward the end of the book, we get Hupp's back story. But, it is basically almost a footnote. 

Because this story wasn't about her, it's about the lives of the people she ruined and hurt. I've already pushed this book on a handful of people who enjoy true crime. 

The way Bosworth and Schwartz crafted this book makes it so easy to fall into the absolute absurdity of this story. Everything is presented in a timeline format that makes it easy to follow, and Gary Bennet did a great job of telling this story. I was able to stay engaged with the story. Only get lost a couple of times, but those were my fault for getting distracted.

So it was easy to go back and retrace my steps to catch back up. A great pick-up from True Crime lovers. Also a really good audiobook. I sometimes struggle with audiobooks, but this one kept me engaged. 



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment