Thursday, September 29, 2022

Remember Me - Review



Author: Christopher Pike
Genre: Young Adult / Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 230

A lot of years have passed since I first picked up Christopher Pike books, but I thought I had a good mind about which ones my local library had in the early 2000s. I thought this had been one. Because the plot sounded familiar, and I started reading I felt like I'd been here before. Not just because of the plot, or the main character. I vividly remembered how one of the side characters killed himself.

I also swore I knew who had killed our main character. 

My memory of this place was only half correct. While I called the real reason behind Peter's death, I had forgotten our Shari had been killed. Along with the side plot with Amanda. Without giving away spoilers of a book published in 1989, I'm still not sure how I freaking forgot about Amanda. 

Just, no, no thank you.

Apart from my faulty memory, I enjoyed this read. I had gone into this book expecting a cheesy horror plot and whiney teenage girls, with a little bit of jump scares thrown in. And, while I got what I wanted on all fronts. That freaking Shadow thing was not okay. Just no. Though I very cool plot device there toward the end to toss in that twist. Kudos.

So, while I got what I knew I'd get, and wanted, I also got a solid story. Shari isn't a half-bad main character. And, yes she's whiney and slightly annoying, but she wasn't as bad as I'd thought she'd be for a teenage girl written by a male author. She's annoying, but I found pretty much all the characters grating to some degree.

Beth is my least favorite, quickly followed by Daniel who should have Legos shoved in shoes. So also kudos to Pike for writing characters I hated but I also didn't make them murderers. Just terrible humans.

The plot on this is also solid and moved quickly enough. I like that everything came back around so all the random pieces you thought might be plot holes get touched on again. Everyone gets a small little wrap-up since there is quite a few cast of characters, and the plot felt finished by the time I hit the last page.

This is why I'm kind of unsure how I feel that this is book one in a three-part series. I liked how this story wrapped up for Shari. So I'm not overly sure I'll be hunting down book two and three.

But, if you're looking for a fun, not-so-spooky read, for the Spooky Season. This is one you should pick up. There is a couple of jumps scares and sort of gory moments. But nothing too graphic or too spooky.
 




HAPPY READING!   

No comments:

Post a Comment