Thursday, February 8, 2024

Mini Reviews

 



While Crown Tower is hands down my favorite book in this series, The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter is a close second. I really enjoyed this plot because it had a lot of movie parts, but they all slid together quite well in the end. I also really enjoyed Genny and how despite everything never gave up. She even had a plan to save herself even though she thought she had nothing to go back for. Evelyn was easily my favorite character and how she kind of became Royce's mother. Which he needs! And, how finally another look into Hadrian's backstory. I live for these little crumbs of his life before Royce.  But best of all was watching (reading) Royce finally realize that no matter what he'll have Hadrian, his unicorn, in a world full of people who have let him down.

I am so pumped for the next book in the series, Drumindor, the Kickstarter goes live on March 13th! 




One of the nights I couldn't sleep I was flipping through Libby, just adding things to my TBR. When I realized Tor Publishing had a ton of novellas up, and honestly Tor has rarely let me down. I snagged this once because it was filled with a BINGO square, and this was a wild ride. It starts out with two guys just hanging on in the backyard. Neighbors that get along in the passing way. When one asked the other about a ghost story. 

I don't know what I was expecting from this story, but this was not it. However, I was satisfied. This was trippy, a little gross, and really cool. I loved the ending on this, the creatures were so cool and gross, and this is one of those stories that thrive as a novella. With only twenty-four pages the story moves quickly, there's no chance to over-science the creatures. I loved this. I definitely need to check out more by this author.




Oh, KJ Parker, I adore your books, but they break my brain. Even knowing this every time I find another novella, I pick it up. There's just something about this world he's created that I love. Something about his writing style is that despite the fact it breaks my brain, I love it. This one might be one of my favorites. The main characters talk about all the ways people burn books, and all the ways religion is complicated. All the while I loved the main character and really his want to just exist and create beautiful books. I loved how he managed to keep himself out of trouble with the scroll he was given to translate and nearly save it. I honestly read this book through once and then read it again. Because despite being just over thirty pages, I felt like I missed something. Which is how it always goes with Parker books. I think that's why I like them. They make me think, and I always need to go back and read them repeatedly. Because I know there was something I missed in the first couple of times I read them.  


HAPPY READING!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment