Saturday, February 17, 2024

Mini Reviews

 


I had never heard of this series until I stumbled onto them because of my library suggesting them to me. A vampire short story published by Tor, yes, please. I had to wait a little bit on this because a few people were interested, but it was totally worth the wait. Judge Dee and the Limits of the Law is a quick, just over twenty pages, and the first in a six-book series. I already have book two waiting for me on my Kindle. It just came a few days ago. 

This was a lot of fun. I enjoyed Judge Dee as a character and his familiar Johnathan. They have this very interesting banter and partnership. Where Judge Dee kind of needs him for daylight things, but also sometimes forgets that Johnathan is human. But, also Johnathan doesn't want to be a bother. So the poo kid survives basically on air. The story on this was also really good. I will admit that I didn't realize the ending until the last couple of pages. If you love vampire books and are in the mood for something light and funny, definitely check out this series!




I have never read a Garth Nix book, but he is one of my friend's favorite authors. So I've always had his books on my library TBR. Something I wanted to try because this friend knows what I like to read, and they say I'll enjoy his books. I probably will. So this book seemed like the perfect reason to finally read one of his books. Not only is it a short read, but it's also a short story in the Holmes Canon. Kinda, like this exists in a world where Sherlock also exists. But, also magic. So really this had my attention. This book does one of my favorite things in fantasy books, just drop-kicks you into the middle of the plot. And for a very small amount of time, you're left sort of floundering to catch up. And, you will. While the plot unfolds on the first few pages, you start piecing the world and the characters together.

The plot moves quickly, and it was a nice surprise for me as well. Another of my favorite tropes is buried into this one, and I got super excited when I realized. In just a few short pages a mystery is solved, magic unleashed, and a pretty cool battle happens. I mean the monster in this was awesome! And, the story works in just under thirty pages. As a reader, you get in and out of the mystery feeling good that everything has been tied up. But, there are still some questions left unanswered, but not annoyingly so. I'd love for this to become a series. I'd follow Magnus anywhere! 

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment