Friday, May 24, 2024

Freaky Folklore - Review



Author: Carmon Carrion
Genre: Mythology / Folklore
Format: e-Book
Pages: 256


Set to be released by July 16, 2024


You know me, I'm always down for a book on creepy mythology and folklore. So I jumped at the chance to get my hands on this one early. So a huge thank you to NetGalley and Wellfleet Press. I really enjoyed this one and might have to get myself a physical copy to add to my folklore and mythology collection.

I liked that this was split so that each section was a different continent because sometimes books will say creatures of the world, but only stick to a certain part of the world. But, Freaky Folklore doesn't leave out a single continent. I will admit that I skimmed through most of North America and Europe, having already read books about most of those creatures. Afterward, there was less skimming, a few creatures here and there in Australia and the Yeti in Asia. But, as a whole there was a big chunk of this book filled was creatures and myths I'd never heard of before. 

Each chapter is fairly small, which my attention span really liked. There is the "Freak Facts" and a brief rundown of each creature/myth, an illustration, and then a short story. Occasionally a little pop-up bubble with a similar creature in the continent is worth noting. Keeping these sections, in my opinion, keeps things from getting too dry or repetitive. However, I will say so many of these stories were to keep children from wandering too far or having a creepy fascination with pregnant women. Just a pattern I noticed.

The illustrations are great. Some of them, a lot of them, were super creepy, but I felt was a great addition to the book. While some of these creatures are easy to picture how they look, some were not because their stories started as word-of-mouth stories, so pieces were lost, or added so much that it was a little jumbled. So having those illustrations really helped with the creepy factor and to actually see what these stories were trying to create. I also really liked that at the end of the book is a little index of all the illustrations.

As for the short stories that were attached to each chapter, they were hit or miss with me. I thought it was a great idea, and was one of the things that drew me toward this book. However, some of them fell flat for me in sections, to the point I started just skipping over most of them toward the end. 

Still, as a whole, I really enjoyed this book and the stories inside. I'm so very grateful to have gotten a chance to read this early. Freaky Folklore hits shelves July 16 of this year, and it might just need to find its way into my creepy folklore collections! 



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment