Monday, August 24, 2026

Mini Reviews

 




I've always had such a hard time with British history, especially where royalty is involved. So when one of my favorite British comedians wrote about the 'ridiculous history of England's Kings and Queens, ' I was all in. Add to that the fact that David Mitchell read the audiobook. I cannot describe how quickly I smashed the hold button, or how quickly I downloaded it when it was turned. This was the laugh-out-loud kind of fun. No punches were held. The wit was dry and perfect, and I loved literally every second of it. This was probably the only time I didn't fall asleep during the history of the War of the Roses. Which I think I understood this time around. Pretty sure. I also really liked how Mitchell ended this book. It was the perfect quote to sum up the whole book. Easily one of my favorite reads of this year! 






Plus a .75 of another star. I stumbled across this through Spotify, of all things, while pulling up one of my podcasts. Since one of the libraries I have a card for had it, I figured, why not? All I have to say is, woof. Just woof! I listened to the audiobook, and it was intense, strange, and hard to pause. Each patient, each chapter, was different. Only one of these stories was a little much for me, and I found myself zoning out and not really listening. Mostly because I couldn't care less about him, his story, and with Jack, he should a slower, more painful end. I'm definitely going to listen to more of this series. It's just one I'm not going to marathon. Because I need something a little less intense for a bit. Did I mention...WOOF! 





What in the Lord of the Flies was this? This was an odd mix of just plain bad luck, and what in the hell am I reading? It's one of those books where, while I was reading it, I wasn't paying attention to whether or not I liked it. It was more about just trying to figure out who was going to survive. Because I swear the book said something about survivors. Then I was reading it because how much worse could it get? Then I was finished, and I just sort of had to sit with it. Several days have passed; I'm still not sure what I just read. I want to say a child that young surely couldn't, wouldn't be capable of such things. Surely someone wouldn't walk in circles and not hear the cars just yards away alerting them to the woods. And yet...and yet. 





HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment