Friday, July 8, 2016

Age of Myth - Review


Published: June 28th, 2016
Author: Michael J. Sullivan
Series: The Legends of the First Empire

Since time immemorial, humans have worshiped the gods they call Fhrey, truly a race apart: invincible in battle, masters of magic, and seemingly immortal. But when a god falls to a human blade, the balance of power between men and those they thought were gods changes forever. Now, only a few stand between humankind and annihilation: Raithe, reluctant to embrace his destiny as the God Killer, Suri, a young seer burdened by signs of impending doom, and Persephone, who must overcome personal tragedy to lead her people. The Age of Myth is over; the time of rebellion has begun.
 Age of Myth Order it now!
I should probably start out by saying I'm a huge fan of Michael J. Sullivan.  His books are some of the ones I always recommend to my friends.  In fact Royce Melborn is one of my favorite literary characters, and if I had to pick a fictional boyfriend, I'd chose him.  So I've been pretty excited to get my hands this since it was announced to be a thing that was happening.  Not only because it's a new series by Michael J. Sullivan, but because it's the prequel to a series I already love.  

Age of Myth is set three thousand years before the Riyria Series.

As usual the world created by Sullivan is amazing.  The world of Elan is nothing like in the first two series.  The land is more wild and lot more superstitious.  Michael J. Sullivan does a wonderful job of dropping into the world and making you feel like your standing there looking at it with the characters.  There's a deep contrast between the world of the Rhunes (humans) and the Fhrey (the gods).  There are ghosts and demons around every corner, and the Rhune clans are anything but united.

The characters Sullivan has created are by far the best part of the book.  I instantly fell in love with relationship between Raithe and Malcolm.  It's very reminiscent of what Hadrian and Royce have, but it's different.  Where Hadrian and Royce had to learn to trust each other; Raithe and Malcolm  didn't really have a choice.  Trusting each other meant surviving.  All of the characters however are well developed with several layers.  Even if some of those layers are more horrible than the last.  Still I don't feel like I hated any characters because they were one sided unneeded.  I hated them because they were whiny brats (our Fhrey prince) or just terrible people all around.

Once I finally full afternoon sit down and read, I couldn't put it down.  The pace of Age of Myth moves pretty steady between the character jumps.  I never once got confused as to who's chapter I was in, or ever fell the need to put it down because events were moving along.  While there were times I wonder why certain parts were taking place, it was later made sense as other pieces fell together.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Age of Myth that it was too cookie cutter.  That other readers had seen this set up before and found it a little predictable.  They aren't wrong, but I don't think that's a bad thing.  Did I start to piece things together throughout the story? Yup sure did.  There were moments where characters made decisions and I knew that is was going bite them later.  Which it did, spectacularly.  Did I hate that I was filling in the blanks sooner than they were being announced?  No, because while I was figure out the small parts, I missed something big.

So what did I not like the book?  That big piece I missed.  Which naturally was at the end of the book.  That little announcement, I didn't like. Not because it was poorly written, not because it didn't fit the story, but because I did not want it happen.  I saw the set up coming on the last couple of pages and was crushed.  I really liked him and now... UGH!  I always like those characters!

Anyway,  Age of Myth was one of my most anticipated books of not only June, but of 2016.  Thankfully it did not disappoint.  So, no I wait for June of next year to see trouble the gods are going to cause, and see whose going to die.  From the first chapter that was published in the book.  Probably everyone.

Buy or Burrow: Buy this, like right now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment