Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bleed, Blister, Puke, and Purge - A Review




Publisher: Zest Books
Release Date: Oct. 25, 2016
Page Count: 112
Series: Stand Alone 
Genre: NonFiction
Author: J. Marin Younker

Riots over the medical use of cadavers. Public access to institutions for the insane. And full-blown surgeries without the aid of anesthetics or painkillers. Welcome to the middle ages of American medicine. Bleed, Blister, Puke, and Purge exposes the extraordinary practices and major players of American medical history, from the colonial era to the late 1800s. It’s hard to believe that today’s cutting-edge medicine originated from such crude beginnings, but this book reminds us to be grateful for today’s medical care, while also raising the question: what current medical practices will be the horrors of tomorrow?



I first heard about Bleed, Blister, Puke, and Purge thanks to one of my local bookstores.  They had the author J. Marin Younker out for a signing, and the title of the book, along with cover, sort of grabbed my attention.  Can't imagine why that would be...  Anyway, I clicked on the book to see what is about and was immediately bummed I'd missed the author event due to work. However, I was quick to snag a copy from the library.  

Despite the what the title might make people think, I really did enjoy this book.  Without a doubt there was some super gross moments, and I smart enough to not snack and read this book at the same time.  Cause yeah, the start of the medical profession was not something to learn about while eating. It's kind of like the Saw movies, only we thought we were helping each other.

Anyway!

My favorite part of about Bleed, Blister, Puke, and Purge is that it is in fact not written like a text book.  The chapters themselves flow very well and the information is told in a way that isn't dry, but it managed to keep my attention.  Also, I really enjoyed the little side comments that J. Marin Younker added from time to time.  It almost made it feel like you were sitting there listening to the her talk about this in person.  

The book itself was much smaller than I thought it would be, which was fine.  But, for some reason I had expected it to be a thicker book.  Instead it's bound a bit like a graphic novel.  Which for me personal was nice.  It meant each chapter, and section, flowed very quickly and there wasn't a lot of repetitive facts thrown at me. I never once set this book down and had to make myself pick it back.  The sort of gross aspect is what had me going back.  Not because it was gore, but because at the time we thought this was right way to heal people.  That by bleeding, blistering, puking, and purging the sickness, or evil, was being expelled.  

It's honestly a wonder any survived in the "Good Ole' Days" to be honest.

As for the book, I felt like J. Marin Younker did an amazing about a research, and that was apparent throughout the book.  Despite it's size, there is quite a bit of information spread throughout the books.  However, I never felt like I was overloaded with information.  Younker did a great job with keeping the timeline moving and expanding from one idea to the next.  On several occasion I fell asleep reading, which is a good thing in my world.  Means I was so fascinated I was forgoing sleep.

While, not the most traditional read around Christmas, it was good read for my packed schedule with work.  It wasn't overly large, was a fun and gory read (which I do like), and was easy to read in the few hours each day I had set aside.

I definitely enjoyed Bleed, Blister, Puke, and Purge.  It was an interesting read and I would definitely read another book by this author. I've already recommended this book to a couple of my friend who I think would find it fascinating.  I do want to warn, it has some visceral moments.  Not for the faint of of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment