Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016 End of Year Survey


I've been seeing this around other blogs the last few days, and really enjoyed seeing how everyone's year in books has been.  So I thought I'd join in.  I've been blogging full time for about eight months of 2016.  But, it's been a pretty fun eight months!  I'm glad I made the move from a hosted to site to my own place here on Blogger.  Though, I'm still figuring things out, I've enjoyed sharing my bookish life with everyone!

So a thank you goes to Perpetual Page Turner for creating this survey!  I wasn't real sure I was going to do post about my whole year.  Her post can be found here! There is also a direct link sign-up so you can see other blogger's surveys and post your own!!



Number Of Books You Read: 45 Books
Number of Re-Reads: Only 2 books
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy and Graphic Novels


1. Best Book You Read In 2016?




While I read a lot of really good books this year, one of them has really stuck with me since I read it.  That is the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch!






2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Queen of Thieves by J. North Conway. I was expecting a book about the lady behind financing a great number of heist during the Gilded Age.  However it was more about the male counterparts she funded with only a handful of facts about the Marm herself.  It was a good book just a bit disappointing.

3. Most surprising book you read?

Definitely The Children's Home by Charles Lambert.  It was well and creepy, but I'm still not entirely certain what I read.   

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read?

I had two of those these year, The Lies of Locke Lamora and Warlock Holmes.  

5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?

Best Series: Illuminae Files and The Legends of the First Empire
Best Sequel:  Technically, I'm still reading it, but Gemina.
Best Series Ender:  I didn't finish one this year, just started a few more. Like a boss.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016? 

GS Denning, he is the author of Warlock Holmes: A Study in Brimstone. It was an impulse buy while picking other books at the bookstore.  One I was very glad I gave into!

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomson.  Normally I don't pick up books in the Romance genre, but it was a female Sherlock Holmes.  Female Sherlock Holmes!  While not my favorite book of the year, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

UGH! Honestly there was three books I hard time putting down: Illuminae, The Lies of Locke Lamora, and Age of Myth.

9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Age of Myth, Micheal Sullivan's books are always worth going back to.  There's always something I missed the first time around.  Not to mention it's nice to have a refresher before the second book get released this year!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?

Gris Grimly's Frankenstein, Or, The Modern Prometheus, by Gris Grimly.

11. Most memorable character of 2016?

AIDEN, from Illuminae.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?

Women in Black, by Susan Hill
13. Most Thought-Provoking of 2016?

The New Hunger, by Issac Marion.  His books always make mess with my head in the things they make me think about.   Which is one of the many reason I enjoy his work.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? 

The Mysterious Affair at Styles!  I've read other books by Agatha Christie, but never the Hercule Poirot Series. Though I don't know why because I've seen the BBC show.  

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?

“Throwing blondes at Locke Lamora was not unlike throwing lettuce at sharks.” - Scott Lynch The Lies of Locke Lamora
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?

Shortest: The Sleeper and the Spindle, 72 pages
Longest: Illuminae, 599 pages

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Lies of Locke Lamora!! I'm not over the end of that book, it was mean!  I didn't like it.  In fact it messed with my head so much, I forced a friend of mine to read so we could be pain together.  In fact it hurt so much I'm a little scared to start the second book.  There is no telling what Lynch will do to break my heart in that one, or the next one.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
So this year I have two!
Raithe and Persephone from Age of Myth.
Locke and Sabetha from Lies of Locke Lamora (I don't care if we never meet her in the book.  Locke loves her!)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Again there were two of them this year.
Twins Calo and Galdo in Lies of Locke Lamora.
Raithe and Malcolm in Age of Myth. 

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

Illuminae, I kept seeing the book everywhere!  Bookstores, blogs, booktubers. EVERYWHERE! So at the start of the year I picked up, and fell in love with the series. 

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?

Locke Lamora from The Lies of Locke Lamora. What can I say, I like my fictional crushes on the bad side with a little bit of heart.

23. Best 2016 debut you read?


Bleed, Blister, Puke, and Purge by J. Marin Younker

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?


Lies of Locke Lamora, Scott Lynch
Age of Myth, Michael J Sullivan

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Warlock Holmes, GS Denning

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?

Lies of Locke Lamora, Scott Lynch

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Warren the 13th, Tania del Rio 

Quirk Books published it in 2015, but it only came across my radar earlier this year thanks to Goodreads.  I was lucky enough to get a copy from Quirk Books in the Spring.  Without a doubt the cutest thing I read this year.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Lies of Locke Lamora, because Scott Lynch killed off almost everyone I loved.
Age of Myth, because I'm pretty sure my favorite character from that book is a traitor.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?

Illuminae, I love the way that Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman decide to write that book.  It's so rad!

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Lies of Locke Lamora!!  He was just an innocent bystander and the twins!!  I'm still mad about it, in fact earlier last week I was talking about it with another fan of the series and we were both upset by it.  Those deaths aren't forgivable!


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?

Drew @ The Tattooed Book Geek, his blog is here.  I've added a lot of good books to my TBR because of him.  A few new series at well!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?

My review of Warlock Holmes: A Study in Brimstone by GS Denning.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

So in the eight months I've been on Blogger (and the few months on BookLikes) I've never done a discussion post.  Nothing as ever come to me to write about, but it's definitely on my goals list for 2017.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

Best event I attended was definitely Alton Brown, though I was able to go to lot of pretty great author signings this year.  Getting to meet Alton Brown was on bucket list and I've already earmarked recipes I want to try in 2017 out of his new cookbook!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?

I was invited to particpated in an upcoming event on January 13th for Warren the 13th and the All Seeing Eye.  This will be my first blog even with a book and I'm really excited to share the book with more people!

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

For the blog it's been fitting the blog in my life and keeping it active, even when I'm not reading as many books.  Another struggle is I'm a slower reader.  So I don't always read books as quickly, or as many, as other bloggers.  Which is sometimes a struggle for me since I feel like I'm lacking reviews or what not.  So I have to remind myself that it's cool and to read at my own pace.  Blogging isn't a competition, it's a way to share my passion with others.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog?

My most popular post was for the Make Me Read it Readathon it had 96 views.
My most popular review was for Warlock Holmes: A Study in Brimstone it had 42 views.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

My Age of Myth review, Micheal J. Sullivan is an amazing writing and wish more people read his books.  Or, even knew about them.  Personally, I feel like his books don't always get a lot of press.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?


When my mother, of all people, introduced me to Book Outlet.  I mean I love Half Price Books and the used bookstore downtown.  But, sometimes I don't have the pennies to spare and Book Outlet can a hook a reader up!  

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?


I did, thanks for asking!  I read 45 books this year, which was more Goodreads Goal.  It was also five more books than I read in 2015!  I also read 1,828 pages more than last year.  Which was 828 more than my goal!!


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?

Ghost Talker by Mary Robinette Kowal

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?

You want me to pick just ONE! Well, out of all the books topping my list that come at this year I'd have to pick The Burning World by Issac Marion.

3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

At the moment I don't think I have a novel right now from a Debut author.  Looking at my 2017 TBR is from authors already with other works out there.  So I'm open for suggestions if anyone has anything to pass along!

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?

Series Ending: Lady Trent Series ends this year, along with the Illuminae Files.
Sequels: Pyromantic in March, The Burning World in February, and Age of Swords in June

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?

More diverse posting on the blog, be brave and pop up a discussion post before the year is out, and just interact with more bloggers.  I've been a little on the shy side with other bloggers since I moved over to Blogspot.  I should reach out more, say hi!

6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

How about the other way around.  I haven't been lucky enough to get a peek out anything coming out this year.  What can you recommend to me? 
                                                                                                                                                                   

Holy monkeys that was long, but pretty fun cause I got to go back and look through all the things I've read in 2016.  Next year I will definitely be doing this earlier than on the first day of the new year! There are so many good books coming out this year, and so many I didn't get to last year.  My year is most definitely booked (I'm hilarious, stick around, you'll see!).  So happy reading all! I hope you all have a wonderful and safe 2017!




No comments:

Post a Comment