Friday, January 19, 2018

The Man from Hell - Review


Author: Barrie Roberts
Genre: Mystery / Sherlock Holmes
Format: Paperback
Pages: 180




In 1886, wealthy philathropist Lord Backwater is found beaten to death on the grounds of his estate. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson must unravel the mystery by pitting their wits against a ruthless new enemy, taking them across the globe in search of the killer.



By turns both thrilling and daring, The Man From Hell braves dark new territories in the Holmes mythology and is an invaluable addition to the library of any Holmes fan.









I always go into non-canon Sherlock Holmes books with a bit of unease and readiness to be disappointed. Mostly because I've been burnt by a good few over the years. Probably because I've been a Sherlockian for long before I know there was a name for people who loved the books. John Watson, M.D. was the second literary character I fell in love with, and he's always the one character that always seems to never been written the write way. So I'm always prepared to be let down.

Lucky for me Barrie Roberts didn't disappoint. There were so many moments that drew my mind back to canon with not only Sherlock's behavior, but with the things he said. And Watson was no bumbling fool. He was the Boswell I know and love. Sherlock trusted Watson to not be sidekick but his companion and help them solve the murder of the previous Lord Backwater.

Right from the start I was pulled into the story as Roberts' version of Watson laid it out before us. Excited to see where this adventure was going to take the duo, and I have to say not a single page disappointed. In fact I was bummed that I set this book up as my bus book. I found it hard to put away as I walked into work and into my house. Especially as the story got it's momentum up.

At one point I hated putting it down because I reached the point of wanting to know if I'd actually solved it. Something I was happy to say didn't happen halfway through book. In fact it wasn't until I walking into my flat that it sort of hit me how the piece fit together. And, wouldn't you know, I got it all right.

None of the fact where pulled out of thin air like in some of the Holmes books I've picked up. Barrie Roberts did a wonderful of job having Sherlock explain how he came to reach reason. All of which where found in logic and then followed by decent detective work. I was left both satisfied with ending and chuffed with myself.

We even got to see Holmes do a little battle of his own. One of my favorites bits, because Holmes isn't just the brain. Occasionally he's the brawn, too you know.

I'm very sad I let this one collect dusk in my Sherlock Holmes stacks, and I'm excited to pick other works by Barrie Roberts to see if I enjoy those adventures as much as this one.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: Buy or borrow, whatever gets you to pick this one up. I adore the covers of the Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes so I always keep the ones I enjoyed!

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment