Friday, June 11, 2021

Heartstopper Vol. 2 - Review

Author: Alice Oseman
Genre: Young Adult / Romance
Format: Hardback
Pages: 320


This series. THIS SERIES! I sat down to start this on Monday morning thinking I'd read it throughout the day as I did this and that around the house. Lies, nothing but lies. The next thing I know I've finished the book and it's no longer morning, and it's in between lunch and dinner. Because there is not a good place to stop. Not a single one. Which, grant you is a good thing in the sense that adore Charlie and Nick. It is also a bad thing because I'm trying to save money and the wait for the third volume is so long!

But, let's crack into my thoughts!

Okay, so I was a little worried that I'd forget what happened in the first volume because I read it about thirty books ago. But, Charlie and Nick stuck with me, and as I read the first few pages it all came back to me. I thought the issues from the end of the first volume were handled very delicately and very honestly. After all, these are teenage boys, they aren't going to make the right decisions all the time. However, it's nice to see them have actual emotions and addressing them, and dealing with them. I think it's something that should more normalize. 

I also like how quickly the boys resolve the cliffhanger as well. We aren't spending half the next volume wondering: will they, won't they. I'm not a fan of that in romance. So I was happy that was able to overcome this hurdle and move forward in this next series. 

On that note, I really liked the hurdle that this volume tackled. Coming out to yourself is hard enough, doing it with friends and family has to be even harder. Everything could go wrong. This is why I adore that Charlie is so understanding that Nick needs time to sort all these new things out for himself. Charlie doesn't rush Nick, doesn't make demands, and he's understanding that this isn't about him, or even them. Consent to important in all its forms!

Now that being said. I'm not a huge fan of Tao. There is a line between being a good best friend and controlling. And, Tao is walking the line very finally. Like I do understand that your friend was hurt just the year prior. So you don't want them to get hurt more. But, on the other hand, you just can't come at people like that because honestly, that whole bathroom scene screamed more jealousy than friendship. But! I think Charlie handled it like a champ. 

I'm also really glad that Nick finally opened his eyes to the bull his "friends" were throwing around. Do I wish it had happened sooner? Yes, but so does Nick. Sometimes someone you care about has to be the target of those hurtful things to realize just how terrible people are. So I'm glad Nick got there. I'm so glad Nick is getting a happy ending all around as well. Mostly because he's like a big puppy dog and needs to be protected at all costs.

I just love this series okay! It plays with my emotions and I only want good things for Nick and Charlie. ONLY GOOD THINGS!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment