Saturday, August 6, 2022

Mercy - Review

Author: Mirka Andolfo
Genre: Horror / Graphic Novel 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 176
I liked this. It was super weird and grotesque, both are wins in the book. While I originally picked this up thinking it was a vampire book, I was wrong. Kind of, these creatures share similar characteristics but that's about it.

This book also gave me a little bit of Umbrella Academy vibes with the creepy Uncle/Butler characters. I was a little disappointed he didn't get a more bitter ending. I'd of loved to see him turned inside out or something. He really was the worst.

As a whole, I really liked the main story. There were some great little twists, and side stories along with the main plot. I got attached to several characters in this. Especially the younger little street urchin. Each character was solidly written for better or worse. I love when a writer makes a character so vile you physically hate them. The butler in this, at first you like he's alright and then you want his head to be torn off. It was wonderful.

So was the artwork in this. For a graphic novel based around something so dark, I love that the author chose a brighter palette. The use of purples and pinks within the creature's bulbs with a more warm Victorian palette for everything else was really great. The details in each panel were amazing. It's one of those books where you scour each page for every detail. 

I was glad to have a long car ride so I could take my time with this one. 

My only complaint, and the reason I didn't give it a hiring writing is for two reasons. The first is that I wish this could have been a little longer. While I really did enjoy the story, at times it felt rushed. I would have loved to get at least one more volume with the main story before the wrap-up. There were so many moving parts to the first half of the story, I would have loved the author to have at least one volume to expand it.

This leads into my second issue, there were times when I got a little flipped turned around. Several timelines are running at once, and a couple of times when several plot lines were starting to connect I was getting confused about when and where we were.

But, I did really enjoy this read and I'm excited to read the next installment of this story. 



 

HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment