Saturday, August 27, 2022

The Hunger - Review

Author: Alma Katsu
Genre: Horror / Historical Fiction
Format: Hardback
Pages: 376

I have not seen enough about this book in the blogging community, and after finishing that bums me out. Because there is a lot to like about this book, from the story itself, to the way Katsu writes, to the characters she's created. My only real issues with this book were personal because I don't think I'll forgive her for one of the deaths in this book. I'm also really bummed that this book was optioned as a movie, mini-series, or something, but hasn't happened yet. I would binge the crap out of that show. And, then be angry about one of the last deaths in the story.

I'm really ticked off about it. To the point, I sent a text to my roommate in all caps about it. Like, it was a good death but I wanted him to make out of this chaos final girl style. I even had in my reading notes from the day of starting this book on vacation.

Anyway, I've fallen from the point. I knew I was going to like this one because I loved Katsu's writing style in The Deep, which I read last year. So, going in there was no doubt that I knew I was going to enjoy the story. I will say that I definitely prefer The Hunger over The Deep. Both had solid stories and solid monsters, but I connected with the characters of The Hunger more. 

Ensemble casts are one of my favorite kinds of books to read. The switching point of view always feels like I'm allowed to get more of the story through different pairs of eyes, and different opinions. With The Hunger this works for several reasons: there is a lot of conflict at the start of the story, and it keeps focused on those and not the twists that are about to happen. I did call a few of the smaller twists throughout the story: Stanton's backstory, Reed's little secret, etc. I didn't however catch the web of a twist that Katsu was created with one single character that someone how connected all the characters together.

Because that last twist there at the end ties it all together. I was so busy looking over here at all the people dying, that I missed the connection. Thinking back on it though, it was all there staring me in the face. I just didn't realize that I should have been connecting dots.

I also really like that this wasn't the monster I thought it was. Going into The Hunger I was like this was going to be a wendigo, and maybe in some ways, it was. But, it wasn't at the same time, and think that sure-fire assumption was what made it hard to see the forest for the trees. Was I bummed, sure, but I really like the way this book turned out. Do I still hate Lewis despite the fact he seems to be the better of the men in his family?

Yes, he is the worst.

My favorite part of this book was the character I hated the most and had the worst time it toward the end. From her introduction I hoped she'd get a grisly end, and while it could have been worse in my opinion. I thought she went out in the book was very on point for that character. Though I would have loved to have been crushed by stampeding oxen or something.

Lastly, I do love who one of the last men standing was. While at first Reed wasn't one of my favorite characters, he kind of grew on me. Looking back on my notes I called him an absolute tool, and I still believe that. However, he was from a cowardly little worm to a man with a backbone, which means I was happy he got a bit of a happy ending.

This was an absolute gem and I cannot wait to share it with a friend of mine who I think we also adore it to pieces. At least I hope she does! I cannot recommend Alma Katsu's books enough. This was my second of her books. I will definitely be picking The Fervor next, Katsu's newest release that hit shelves back in April!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment