Friday, August 12, 2022

The Dollhouse Family - Review

 

Author: MR Carey
Genre: Horror / Graphic Novel 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144

I have to say as a whole I'm really enjoying the Hill House Comics series. Like all anthologies, and this is kind of what this ongoing series is, there have been some I liked more than others. But, all have introduced me to authors I'd love to read again. So that's always a win. The Dollhouse Family continues that trend.

As the owner of a creepy doll, I think they are cursed objects, more so when they came with a complete house. So I didn't even think twice about picking this one up. It had all the elements of a story I knew already creeped me right out. And, this definitely delivered on the creep. I wouldn't say that this book ever scared me, but it makes me shiver in a couple of places.

Cause it's super gross.

I really liked the story itself for The Dollhouse Family. It's a classic ancient battle with slumbering evils that Carey did a great job delivering. I liked how the story all connected together where it looks like it's all at random until near the end when you see how all the pieces fit together. I thought all of that was solid, and I loved how our 'good' guy managed to sneak out from its own entrapment. I was wondering about the creature, it kept popping up even in the flashbacks.

The art is great as well. I love that more muted tones were used during the flashbacks, almost like a sepia so you realize you're not in the present anymore. But, not just sepia just older looking. That helped when the timeline jumped. Because toward the end timeline was bouncing back and forth between panels. So the visual really helped keep in point with who and when everyone belonged in.

Personally, I thought the creepest, and kind coolest part, of the art, were the photos using the dolls that separated the chapters/issues. It's used also for the volume cover. Those were cool and super creepy foreshadowing.

I liked the character growth in this for our main character. Everything she's been through could have turned her bitter, instead, she was a great single mom doing her best. And, I was here for that. I also really liked that she really got to be the hero of this story and really didn't have to sacrifice all that much. This was a happy-ish ending.

Which I liked. Because is a little open-ended to what comes next, but allowed the main story to be tied up and finished.

I think my only issue with is at places the book felt a little rushed and the plot just barreled on, or something was faded to black and then quickly explained later. So I would have loved maybe a second volume or a couple more issues. But, that's just a personal thing because I enjoyed this and can't wait to pass it on to a friend of mine!


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment