Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday - The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter

Can't Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Wishful Endings to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about what we have yet to read. Generally they are books that have yet to be released, but don't have to be. It is based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by the fabulous at Breaking the Spine

Release Date: August 10th, 2017 
Publisher: Saga Press
Author: Theodora Goss
Genre: Retellings / Fantasy
Pages: 416

Mary Jekyll, alone and penniless following her parents’ death, is curious about the secrets of her father’s mysterious past. One clue in particular hints that Edward Hyde, her father’s former friend and a murderer, may be nearby, and there is a reward for information leading to his capture…a reward that would solve all of her immediate financial woes.


But her hunt leads her to Hyde’s daughter, Diana, a feral child left to be raised by nuns. With the assistance of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, Mary continues her search for the elusive Hyde, and soon befriends more women, all of whom have been created through terrifying experimentation: Beatrice Rappaccini, Catherine Moreau, and Justine Frankenstein.




Why I'm Waiting: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of my favorite Gothic stories, add Sherlock Holmes to the mix, I'm totally on board for this.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting retelling. I love all the literary characters they are mixing in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a lot of my favorite Gothic characters inside. Which is why I have high hopes for it!

      Delete
  2. This cover is gorgeous! Great pick!

    My CWW: https://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2017/07/cant-wait-wednesday-tower-of-dawn.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is what original pulled toward this books!

      Delete
  3. I'm planning on buying this one soon as well. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo, Hallo!

    So very sorry for the late return visit - I had originally read this s/o closer to when you posted it but it was only now I could return to tell you why it struck me as a story I'd be keen to read myself! The main reason being it's such an original concept on the canon! For that, I appreciate knowing about this book - now I just hope it stays on the 'cosier' side of Horror and is just suspenseful & thrilling enough to where it doesn't broach past what I can handle! lol

    My favourite Jekyll/Hyde film by the way stars Spencer Tracy! Did you ever see this version? Unbelievable how he did the role!!

    Meanwhile, I've linked to you via my #WaitingOnWednesday No.2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the old black and white movies that portray the classics! Every so often one of the movie houses out here does a run of them and I clear my schedule!

      I've picked up some so-so retellings of Jekyll and Hyde recently. Hopefully this one will break the cycle!

      Delete